Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
korean fir

Posted by flexwebber 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 6:45

Haven't had much luck growing this tree. Two if them died. Any tips on growing this plant? I tried it in well drained soil in full sun. Thanks.
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: korean fir

mostly filtered Shade works sometimes in Chicago Z5b

o

zone 10????

i doubt it will work ...

in the alternative.. where are you???

ken

o

He said on the other forum he's in NJ. They should grow well almost anywhere in the state if correctly sited. Here's one at a Longwood. There are even nice looking Abies koreana in the suburbs of DC.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plantexplorer.longwoodgardens.org/PlantPix/Thumbnails/L-0671-A-PC021408_SZ700.jpg

o

More shade was what I was thinking.....maybe keep it in a pot for a while as well. I'm in zone 7....sorry bout that

o

I have a species Korean fir (Abies koreana) and its doing very well. Bought it as a 3-4ft tall B&B about 5 year ago. Today it's about 12ft tall. Very nice tree in great condition, growing in full sun for most of the day, light shade in the late afternoon. Watered it very well the first year or so, added mulch, etc.

The only thing about mine is that it doesn't produce many cones. Have heard that Abies koreana produces those beautiful purple fir cones at a very early age, but this particular tree does not. But the light green top and white underside foliage are reason enough to have one.

Good luck.

TYG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here