Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (9)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Jon,

I'm probably wrong, but, it's a chinensis, and probably 'Hetzii Columnaris'.

Dax

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm...I kinda hope you are wrong, looking at pics of that cultivar. I like the irregular columnar look this one has going.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

It won't get more regular with age, only less so.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jon, it's easier for us to identify if you'll show us some detail pics as well of it's foliage and berries.
    Maybe this is still possible for you to do?

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is about the best I can get for now. Might be able to go back in a week or so.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

regardless of what it is...

what i am seeing... is either one of two things ... look close..

either the bottom part is juvenile growth .... in one pattern ...

or the bottom was sheared.. for sale in an xmas tree shape .. to suck in the buyer...

what you see above.. is the plant reverting.. to normal adult growth pattern ...

the top will NEVER be as tight as the sheared/juvenile bottom.. and i think that is the question unpro is asking ...

the only alternative.. is some hardcore deer browsing .. to give it that shape.. and i would think that would have to be one hungry herb.. to choose juniper ... lol

agree??./. disagree??? juvenile or sheared?????

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

If I didn't think I was seeing things, those look like Platycladus orientalis cones.

Weirddddd.

Dax

• botann
    10 years ago

Ken, I agree.
    You nailed it.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The juvenile parts in it is a typical characteristic for Juniperus chinensis.
    It's too bad that the underpart got damaged, but I think this specimen is a 'Kaizuka'.
    It's one of only a few green cultivars of this species, the others do have a more bluish colour.

Dax, the 'Hetz Columnaris' (correct spelling) was renamed into 'Fairview' because it was found in 1963.
    This is after 1959 which is the reason that Latin names were not allowed into cultivar names.
    This cultivar has thicker foliage then 'Kaizuka', that's why I think the one at Jon's pics is a 'Kaizuka'...

Better pics are welcome, taken with the sun in the back and not in front...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus