dcsteg
12 years ago

More to come.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Abies invisible

Comments (15)

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Wow! A little thin in the canopy but look at that form! I've never seen anything like it!

• steg
    12 years ago

I'd like to claim a cutting, if possible...

• severnside
    12 years ago

I have this one, but it didn't have a label. Is it the same?

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

This is it! The answer to all of my space constraints. Clearly these cultivars can be placed all over in my gardens and not take up too much space!

• tunilla
    12 years ago

Post-heatwave depression, surely! Just think of all those Abies that you might have planted, but didn't. They would have burned to crisps, but didn't because you never planted them in the first place. That must be some relief to you,Dave.
    And so,it is the depression that vanishes (or becomes invisible) and not the Abies, wich were only a figment of Dave's imagination! T.
    (From DIY Zeikology,by Tunilla!)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I have one. Here's a picture of mine:
    . .
    . .
    . .
    . .
    tj

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

steg...you can have a cutting when I find it.

severnside...I have a label somewhere. I should know it when I see it. It's like the sign in the window of a local beer joint I once saw. It said: Free Beer Tomorrow. You never get your free beer and of course the invisible label is in the eye of the beholder.

Will...program them in. Every time you step out the door...there they are.

T...Actually I had two Abies ordered but canceled at the last moment. All those Abies ghosts of previous years paraded in front of me and advised me against it. They were right. Really no post heatwave depression here. Just having a little fun. Next spring will welcome some new and rare cultivars that I have ordered. I have some cool ideas for displaying them and I am upbeat.

Mean while I just keep burying some of my old friends.
    I will remove these three today as soon as the present temperature 101F. drops to a reasonable level.

Dave

Pinus s.'Sea Urchin'
    {{gwi:784375}}

Pinus s. 'Pendula'
    {{gwi:784376}}

Picea g. 'Cecilia'
    {{gwi:784377}}

Dave

• lucretia1
    12 years ago

Must be written Abies imperceptibilii.

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

The following is meant for purposes of entertainment only and should not be construed as reality:

Do you know if this is the same as or distinct from Abies x mortilis ?

The latter would appear to be one of my all-time favorites as it seems that I am constantly adding new selections to my collection. Lots of popular cultivars, including
    Abies x mortilis 'August'
    Abies x mortilis 'Clay'
    Abies x mortilis 'Brown Carpet'
    Abies x mortilis 'Hot 'n Humid'
    Abies x mortilis 'Fried'.

;^)
    Alex

• poopsko
    12 years ago

OMG Dave !! It heartbreaks me to see that P. strobus Pendula...... That sucks man. I did'nt know they were that sensitive. Seem to do alittle better up where I'm at near the lake I guess. Do you plan on a replacement one?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

hey dave.. when did you sneak up here and take a picture of my sea urchin???

ken

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken...LOL. I can probably duplicate anything else that has not done well for you. You probably want me to stay away though.

If brown is the next latest thing in conifer gardening I will be in the forefront having obtained the position of greatest importance or prominence.

This 'Sea Urchin' was new this year. I lost a 7 year old specimen last year when I was on vacation. It was dry and hot and received no water.

Dave

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

Dave,

You are indeed in the forefront, but I am close behind. My 'Cecilia' is also starting to develop a nice 'brown variegation':

Alex

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex,

Not a good look. Looks like you have already removed a dead branch. Probably a little late to screen.

I moved mine last October 2010. That probably had a lot to do with its inability to survive as it could not deal with a loss of root material to supply its needs. In my opinion this cultivar needs some protection depending upon your micro-climate.

Are you sure yours is Picea glauca 'Cecilia'? I am not seeing the blue/gray coloration that this cultivar is noted for.

Mine in its prime looks different.

Dave

{{gwi:780989}}

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

Dave,

I have to admit that I am fully responsible for the sad appearance of my plant. In early July it was sprayed with a pesticide labeled as 'insecticidal soap'. Sounds innocuous, right? And I believed it would be okay, since it was only in the 70's that afternoon. Anyway, after the damage was done I looked the stuff up online and learned that insecticidal soap is particularly tough on conifers. They recommend spraying in the early morning and then after 15 min washing it off with water. A lesson learned. The interesting thing is that the spray instantly removed the blue color. I rechecked the label, but it doesn't state anything about oil, but maybe that was considered the vehicle and not the active ingredient. Anyway, it used to be the same color as yours. I don't have any pictures from before the damage was done.

If brown is "the new black", then pretty soon everyone will be treating their plants with this stuff.

Alex