Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

This summer trip to Edwin Smits nursery

ireena (zone 5-6)
10 years ago

This summer was rich with impressions. I have visited the Czech Republic, Poland, Holland and Estonia. I saw a lot of beautiful gardens and met many nice and interesting people. Of course, I bought the new plants to my collection....:)

I have a lot of photos and have a lot to tell and show you. But everything little by little:) Because currently there are a lot of work in the garden and my new Pinetum.... or Arboretum... or simply - in the my new meadow:) My main job does not allow me to devote enough time to my hobby... Only evenings and weekends...

I had one lovely and memorable trip to Holland - finally visiting Edwin Smits nursery and Pinetum. It is not too close to me .... A trip get 2 days - one way. But it was definitely worth it.

First of all, I met a very nice, hospitable and affectionate people - Edwin and his lovely wife Mireille.

Despite the language barrier, we were able to successfully communicate. I gained experience to speak my terrible English:) But since that Edwin is not English man too, then I had not a big shame...

Edwin's nursery is unique. Everything is so beautiful, accurate and aesthetically pleasing. Plants quality is very high... You can see that everything is done with great love.

Beautyful Chamaecyparis lawsoniana Filip's Golden Tears... My future dream... Being counted that in our climate quite difficult to be grown (lawsonianas). But lawsoniana 'Alumii' feels quite good at sheltered area in my garden.

Whatever, when my husband saw this huge amount of plants, which had been prepared for me, he almost caught the stroke:))).

But Edwin has shown that it can all be packed in the trailer. He did it himself, which was in turn a huge gift for my husband! It is evident that he has experience in such matters...

As a whole was so much that I did not even know where to look. It can be dangerous for depend person like me:). It was good that the list had already been ordered in time and I hadn't to choose on the spot. Then I pick up even more...:)

And in the he car still has plenty of space to store gifts from Edwin... All very rare and special plants.... I can be proud of them:)

Then Edwin showed us his wonderful Pinetum. It is a dream land for anyone who collects conifers! I photographed a lot of plants that I saw for the first time. And I could see how my small plants looks, when they become large. Unfortunately, I can not precisely sign all photos, because I did not have time to write down the names...

Enjoy you too -

Huge Sciadopitys!!!!

Many large and old trees as well.

It was nice to once again remember this visit!:)

Ireena

Comments (21)

• unprofessional
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love that fat little spruce.

• User
    10 years ago

How wonderful! I love all the trees. I bet they are not cheap.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Fantastic thread! Thanks for the tour, very enjoyable.

Indeed, that is quite the impressive packing job. How many plants are tucked into that trailer?

Looks like you've got a lot of planting to do now. I'm envious of the great great selection of plants at your fingertips.

Alex

• taxo_man
    10 years ago

Great pictures! Every time I see Edwin's place I am in amazement. It's like conifer heaven, haha. Very neat and clean too.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

Jeff

• zephyrgal
    10 years ago

WoW! What a delight and trip! I'm sure we're all envious, here, in the States. Thank you Ireena and Edwin.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Great, great, great, great.

Ireena you are humorous, too. You say: 'My husband almost caught the stroke!'. I'm still laughing so much!!!!!!

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jujujojo, it's not cheap, but worth it. Clothes or shoes we will use shortly and then throw out, but the trees grows bigger long time and gives us joy for many years:)

Alex, there was packing 70 plants, not including gifts:) We place others in the car... (oh, my poor husband and our new car...:) But all year I put him peace of mind with shopping and supermarkets... For which he was very grateful:) I am very amazed that he was willing to carry me so far!!

Now I really have a lot of digging work.... But many plants will wait for next year in the pots. From the beginning I need to prepare a new places in my meadow .. I have already planted 24 trees. But this is only a small amount. Just the beginning.

Ireena

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

bet the dog is bummed out.. lol...

so everything on the rack.. in front of eddy.. went in the trailer???

plus the stuff on the ground.. in the pic above him???

plus all the splurge stuff...

Christmas in august.. for sure...

congrats...

dogs waiting at home.. for the trip to the property ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi, Ireena!
    This was a nice day indeed!
    It was a great honour to me that you traveled so far to obtain conifers from my nursery.

I also see that you made some pics of my new "secret" one's which will be introduced in the next comming years...

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 3:54

• Ruslan.Hupov
    10 years ago

Ireena! I envy you) I am delighted with the photos. All very nice, gorgeous nursery. I had a dream to visit this wonderful

• Cher
    10 years ago

What a fantastic trip and an extremely large haul of wonderful conifers. Edwin's nursery keeps most of us in awe at the sheer beauty and care he gives it. Thanks for the great photos.
    Cher

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

Nice pictures, Irina. Thanks for posting. Did you cover the trailer with a tarp?

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

Cool adventure Ireena, Nice story and photos......and that trailer looks like Edwins instant pinetum...just add water!
    I know youve got some more photos to come of your progress. Look forward to them!

Al

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Al you couldn't have said that any the wiser!

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, both dogs were waiting at home...
    I doubt that Edwin would be happy to see the two red madness devil in his Pinetum:)) They love to run across my meadow, while I work with my plants... There, they are now a lot of space... and they will do not interfere me...

I am willing to expect a Christmas without presents! This trip was the best gift for me...

Edwin, I did not know that "secret pictures" can not be published. Supposed to warn me:). But but now all eagerly waiting for news from you!!:)

David, of course, the trailer was covered with special tarpaulin...

Soon I will post the first pictures from my new project. It does go slowly and in the large meadow all trees is lost somewhere....:) But this is only the beginning...

Ireena

• sluice
    10 years ago

Very enjoyable, thanks for the tour!

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

Glad you had a great time. Enjoy your wonderful plants!

Richard

• botann
    10 years ago

Now THAT's a vacation! Touring northern Europe with a trailer, looking at gardens, and buying conifers.
    Thanks for the views of Edwin's nursery and Pinetum. Excellent photos.
    I wish I were there. I got as close as Paris once.
    Mike

• liopleurodon
    10 years ago

Ireena, Edwin told me you were there two weeks before me and left with a completely filled trailer.
    That trailer is fully loaded for sure!

Good luck planting them all out!

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

Ireena,

if you do another trip to Western Europe and you need a rest in the North of Germany.I live between Kiel and the border to Denmark. Please tell me , you are invited.

Good luck with all your plants. I hope you have not so much deers like me.Terrible.

Wolfgang

• Simoni
    10 years ago

Hi Ireene,

Good luck with all your plants, good basis for your arboretum!

L+M S