Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Is there rain in the furure?

dcsteg
11 years ago

I know this keeps cropping up. There is a corridor centered on Kansas City that is about 50 miles wide running SW to NE.

Here in Shawnee a suburb of KC we have not had any measurable precipitation since July 10. To keep my conifer garden from expiring watering is my only option. My last bill...$384.56.

As I look out my south window I see the first cloud bank of of what's left of Hurricane Isaac pushing into our area. We are on the western edge but they are saying up to 2-1/2 inches possible.

As I scan the radar this thing is actually moving toward us.

Let's hope this will bring some relief. I think we are about 15 inches behind on rain fall as of now. All decidious trees are defoliating in the area. Some have come back on the second set of buds while other have died.

I have found out that no matter how much you artifically water it's not the same as if Mother Nature did it for you. Things just don't look the same.

Dave

Comments (16)

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Probably not in the furure but possible in the future.

I need to quit posting and become a politician but then I would have to become a liar and perpetrator of false hopes.

I can't go there.

Put up with my spelling.

Dave

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Its most definitely not the same. Lightening during rainstorms causes nitrogen to combine with hydrogen to create a natural fertilizer. This is why you typically see things green up or put on a nice flush after a nice storm.

Ater a nice little recovery late July/very early Aug things are getting dry again. Many trees are defoliating and fall colors are starting to creep up about 2-3 weeks early.

Honey locust might be bare within 2 week now.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Good loop of the clouds... The outer bands are just about into La Crosse...

link

• scpalmnut
    11 years ago

Hope you get something from this blob of clouds. Earlier in the week they were saying we could get several inches from Isaac. I ended up getting a whole .18". I've gotten to the point where I don't believe anything they say unless it has to do with hot temperatures, which they can usually seem to get right.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good news.

Isaac, what's left of it, has been parked over us for the last 24 hours.

5-1/2 inches in the gauge this morning and still raining. They predict it to rain all day and most of the night. This has been light to moderate rain with no run off.

Dave

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

dsteg, that's good news. And the worst of the heat has faded.

It's possible a tropical storm pushing a big blob of Gulf moisture up the center of the US might stir things up enough to temporarily change the jetstream pattern. Seen it happen in the mid-Atlantic states some yrs in late summer/early autumn after bad droughts. Your area is evaporating like open ocean now compared to a desert earlier...

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Glad you got some rain Dave! Those bills are crazy. It's just now hitting us here in Ohio... about 1" so far.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Pretty sweet, you won't have to water for at least a couple weeks now. Doesn't that make you angry though? No rain week after week and then boom, 5.5".

I wish that damn storm would come up here. Instead we are getting clouds (good) but windy...not so good since its already very dry.

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

So relieved, Dave! You can take in that bottle cap now!

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Actually I was wondering how many cases you went through to measure out that rain.

Man, you must have been feeling pretty good between the brews and the rain!

• sluice
    11 years ago

Great news!

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Actually I was wondering how many cases you went through to measure out that rain".

"Man, you must have been feeling pretty good between the brews and the rain"!

The only liquid refreshment I enjoyed this Summer was H20.

A glass in my hand and watching the rest come out the end of the hose.

Yesterday was the first time I haven't watered since beginning of July. The grass is trash but I managed to save everything else.

Dave

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

Dave,

I'm happy for you and glad to see some of that water went where it was needed. I kept quiet during our July monsoon which did bring some much needed relief here, although not the deep soakings we'd prayed for. We're still 5-6 inches below normal precip. in the Denver area. Our "normal" is 13 inches a year. We're mighty dry. The forecast is for 75 degrees and rain on Friday. I hope we get it.

Here's to all the hardworking folks that have spent the summer attached to a hose. Fall is coming!

Barb

• jimbobfeeny
    11 years ago

Makes 43 inches a year (something like that) not seem too bad! I have resolved never to complain about too much rain again! How do you get by on 13 inches of rain a year?!

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Same here, I never never vouch to complain about too much rain, cloudy days or cutting the grass ever again.

I'm convienced I live in this bubble that wards off storms. Severe storms rolled through last night listed with 100% chance but broke apart and moved southeast of me. I got 0.4" while 20 min southeast of me got almost 2". Still remain in the top 10% worst 90 day deficits in the US. Temps have remained almost 10 degrees higher than normal lately as well.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

jimbobfeeny,

Here, you have to water unless you like cacti, yucca and riparian trees like Siberian Elm, Russian Olive, ash and willow. Not much else grows here. Thanks in part to this forum, I've learned to love conifers and am willing to water them.

Whaas, it seems the entire center of the US just fried to a crisp this summer. Today, Denver hit 71 days above 90 degrees for the summer. Our normal is 33. Brutal!