Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Kool's Gold'

maple_grove_gw
10 years ago

Is anyone growing this dawn redwood? I'd like to know if there's any noticable difference between it and 'Ogon'. I know Buchholz says that it's better suited to his climate. I'm in the northeast, I've already got an 'Ogon', and am considering getting a 'Kool's Gold', but if it's identical to 'Ogon' then maybe I'll reconsider.

Thanks for any information.

Alex

Comments (10)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Alex, the original name for this yellow one is 'Golden Guusje'.
    It was a seedling selection found by by Dutch colegue Nelis Kools, he named it after his daughter.
    Scions went from The Netherlands to the Buchholz Nursery and Talon changed the name into 'Kools Gold' because to him this was a better name for selling this conifer.

I also think it's an improved 'Ogon'.
    By purchasing this one you can compare by yourself and let us know here afterwards what your conclusion is... ;0)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Sara, yep, it's a Dutch woman's name, which has nothing to do with a goose :0).
    However, maybe a goose sh**t on it when it flew over, but I can't tell you for sure now, I'll start an investigation when I've the time.
    (your words: GW is very proper and will not allow postings that include profanity!) ;0)

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edwin, thanks for the information about its name. Any golden DR worth its salt needs at least a couple names.

Please let me know the results of your investigation. If it attracts goose droppings I'll have to plant it far from the house.

If anyone has any further insight, please chime in, I'd like to know what you think.

This post was edited by maple_grove on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:19

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

How is it an improved Ogon? Thicker trunk or later spring growth? My big metasequoia (30' lol) is not the most drought tolerant fella so more drought tolerance could be good.

I might order one so I can compare lol.

• abciximab
    10 years ago

This is my young Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Golden Guusje'. It was planted last October. Sorry for the picture quality. The pictures were quick shots from my phone in earlier July.

Patrick

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

It's lovely!

Sara

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

abciximab, that is a nice tree!

I say the form looks more similar to the species as Ogon takes a moment not to look like a branch.

Is the bark darker than Ogon and the branching wider?

• abciximab
    10 years ago

The bark appears to be darker than my 'Ogon'. As for branching, it's similar to my 'Ogon' branching when it was of similar age a few years ago. Metasequoia grow really well in my area. The 'Golden Guusje' receives full sun until about 4:30 PM because it's supposed to tolerate sun better. I'll wait to compare color until it's more established. This has been a milder summer than recent years, and I havn't seen any significant foliage burn thus far.
    This is my Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon' that I'll compare to.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pictures and some very nice plants there, Patrick. From the information I've come across, the only improvements on 'Ogon' are less tendency to burn/better tolerance of sunny and dry conditions. I saw somewhere that 'Golden Guusje' is supposed to be a narrow tree, or at least, more so than 'Ogon'.

I envision future garden visitors asking "Is that your 'Golden Guusje' or your 'Golden Oji'? :*)