Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsqx_gw

Bald spot in Globe Arborvitaes. Will it fill in?

Dsqx
9 years ago

Hi. I have a few globe arborvitaes...Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe' to be exact and they were planted a little bit to close. I'm going to move these around November and was wondering if the bald spots will grow back or are these like spruce trees and not grow back. The bald spots are located where they were touching up against each other. It isn't a huge spot, kind of like the apple logo but more towards the middle/ bottom area. I will take a picture of them when I get home.

Comments (3)

• andreas75_gw
    9 years ago

Hello!

I own a 'Danica', which was a little shaded out by a young maple when we bought the property, that had germinated and grown thru it.
    I had cut the Maple quickly out, but the damage was done, a about 20 cm- hole stays behind in the highest quarter of the 'Danica', but there were nothing i can do than wait.
    And really, the hole fills with new growth from the surrounding edges, and in this year, after two and nearly a half year, the hole has almost completely closed. One more year, and nothing of the hole will be seen anymore.

So i 'm optimistic, the spots on your plants will fill out too :).

Greetings,
    Andreas

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

real hard to give an answer... w/o a pic ...

dead wood... is dead wood.. it will not resprout.. if that need be said ...

then.. all you would be left with... is whether.. the hole is small enough.. for surrounding material to fill the space ...

and the final variable.. is HOW LONG ...

odds are very high that it will fill in ...

the issue is.. HOW LONG ... are you prepared if it takes 5 years ...

do not think this ill happen like it might with a shrub or a perennial ... in one season ....

conifers are trees.. and they do things in TREE YEARS ... and if you can understand and accept that.. you will be pleased ...

but if you think it will happen fast ... it better be a very small space ...

you dont mention size ... i dont know how hard i would work.. to move big specimens... on something i might be able to mail order for rather cheap ... but that equation is all about how much exercise you want or need ..

let see that pic you promised...

and.. good luck

ken

ps: softball sized hole.. maybe in one year .. basketball ... 2 or 3 ... etc ...

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

At my parent's new home-okay, new ten years ago-I planted a long, curving row of Woodward Globe arbs. More or less a never-pruned hedge was the goal and it has worked out marvelously. Well, heavy snowloads did indeed break a section of branches up in one of the fifteen plants. It looked poorly for a while-not exactly sure how long of a while-but is now nearly completely hidden/obscured by new growth above, below, and to the sides of where the breakage occurred. So, while Ken is correct in saying that which is dead will not magically come back to life, all the growth around this area will continue growing, expanding, getting heavier and drooping, etc. such that at some point, you will not be able to tell there was ever a defect. And I don't think it will take all that long for this to happen, though I can't quantify exactly how long that is or will be.

+oM

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?