Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxo_man

Sequoia giganteum pendula, maybe not?

taxo_man
10 years ago

Hello all,
I ordered this tree online. But after looking at other pictures of this tree at a young age, I am wondering what I have? The foliage doesn't seem to be weeping..

Does anyone think it could be another cultivar, Powder Blue, Glaucum, 'Hazel Smith.. ??
It has grown a bit more since this picture, and I can post more pics later if needed.

Thanks!
Jeff

Comments (25)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

It may not start to do much weeping until it gets a bit older. The new growth each year, for example, is not weeping on the plants in my garden. They put up over a foot of growth each year and it doesn't weep until it's at least a year old.

Sara

• ogcon
    10 years ago

It appears you have received the intended tree.My experience is that it will want some fairly serious staking to head it vertically.After 5' or 6' of growth they take off pretty well on their own but I am talking zero snow load and few other discouragements.D.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Due to smallness of specimen only thing to go by is the curved stem, which will have to be assumed to indicate you have the right item.

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you all think it is the correct cultivar.
    Great insight Sara.
    Doug, I will be sure to take your advice on staking and keeping snow off.
    Bboy, good point. I kind of over-looked the stem and didn't really notice that curvature till now.

Thanks everyone! :)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Enjoy it - these are great plants. Check out me looking at some monsters at The Oregon Garden in the link below (third photo down). I am the midget in the orange shirt. Look how big those monsters are!

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum' at the OG

This post was edited by formandfoliage on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 18:41

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jeff, please for a next time name the genus right as Sequoiadendron instead of Sequoia.
    Because giganteum ends with um, all it's cultivars found before 1959 will end in the same way, so in this case it will be 'Pendulum'.

Your specimen isn't a 'Pendulum' at all.
    This is because of it's bluish colour and it's not weeping habit.
    Small specimens of this cultivar will also show a weeping habit at an early age.

Are you going to let it grow with two leaders or are you gonna to cut one off?

Here is a link that might be useful: True young 'Pendulum'

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 18:27

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, those upright tips to the side branches really don't fit the expectation. A common combination for this tree is lead shoots that point up and out, with the rest hanging down.

The Oregon Garden examples have some size to them but are not that big as far as it goes, much larger ones are around - cultivar is a definite tree rather than a shrubby type.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Yeah have you seen the pair that guard the entrance to Iseli? They are other-worldly.

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great website Sara! Those are remarkable specimens.
    Edwin, thanks for the correction and clearing up the identification! :)
    I will probably cut one of the leaders off, now that I know its not a 'pendulum'. Any ideas which cultivar I have? I will take a new picture tomorrow!
    Thanks again bboy,
    Cheers.
    J

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some updated pictures!

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

It's a pretty blue, whatever it is. Where are you in zone-6? Gary Gee has a nice 'Glaucum' in his arboretum, here in Michigan.

Sara, that picture always makes me want to try a 'Pendula', even knowing it won't work here. Would love to see any of the even bigger ones out there.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

There's a 'Pendulum' up the street here that has the rootstock growing up from beneath it - people often let this happen with grafted ornamentals, as they don't even know what is going on - and the rootstock sprout is what looks like your tree.

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

Nice blue cultivar. There are a few glaucous cultivars in the trade.

If it stays narrow - and it seems to be so - very common ( here in Europe ) is ' Glaucum '. Also narrow , but a bit more rare is 'Exceptionally Blue' and 'Shorty's Blue'. Not narrow and the branches more spread is 'Lacy Blue','Powderd Blue' and 'Hazel Smith'. Somestimes during the year' Hazel Smith' seems to be more greyish blue.

Wolfgang

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    @unprofessional - I used to be 6b but a recent update has put me at 7a for zone hardiness.
    @bboy - Very interesting. Hopefully it is some sort of cultivar and not just the species. I guess only time will tell.
    @Wolfgang - Great info, much appreciated. I will monitor the tree to see what shape it takes. My gut feeling is it is Glaucum also.

J

• botann
    10 years ago

No matter what it is, I would think one of those leaders has to go.
    Mike

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike!
    I just removed one of the leaders. :)
    J

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It's too fast growing for a 'Glaucum' and also it's foliage is too thin for this cultivar.

'Powder Blue' is the one I would go for...

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Double post...

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 2:10

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

When the soil is good and enough water then for me no problem with the rapid growth but I agree with Edwin. ' Glaucum': The tips of the branches are thicker, also all parts are not so thin.'Powder Blue' is a good choose, but then it mustn't grow narrow. Let us watch how the nice juwel will grow the next years and then we can speak about it once more.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Edwin and Wolfgang for your help!! I will sure to supply updated pictures in the future. :)

Jeff

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Seemed most of the folks were thinking Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Powder Blue', when we last left off...

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

This was was purchased north of Seattle at Smokey Point as a S. g. 'Glauca'.

As Edwin points out, it should be labeled 'Glaucum'.

Mike

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nice tree, Mike! How old is yours?

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Seven or eight years.

Mike