Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
conifer as nesting habitat

Posted by sluice z6a CO (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 9:53

A couple of months ago I posted this pic of Cupressus glabra 'Blue Pyramid'. A robin had made a nest and laid an egg in there. This is June 22.

So now, for the rest of the story!

Here is mama bird sitting on the nest, June 27 (taken out the kitchen window).

And again on July 7.

July 9, the new arrivals!

July 12, growing fast.

July 14, these babies are hungry!

July 15, it's getting crowded in here.

July 18, the little fledglings are about fly the coop.

July 20, empty nest!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: conifer as nesting habitat

Great!

o

I am always amazed at how fast they grow. Out of the egg and out of the nest in just 9 days!

o

Totally sweetah!

Dax

o

Brings up a good point when folks get argumentative about which plants are good for wildlife-it's about more than just food. Conifers must be the ultimate big grouping when it comes to shelter.

+oM

o

I sure miss those robins and their beautiful blue eggs! Unfortunately we rarely see them here in the desert.

Back in Illinois, we always had an active robin's nest in our spruce tree. When I was really young I believed house sparrows were baby robins because they'd follow the adult robins all over the lawn so they could steal their earthworms!

o

Thanks pasadena, Matt, Dax, +oM, and Juttah!

I was also amazed at how fast they grew. This was the first time I had seen something like this, and didn't realize that both parents were involved in the feeding.

Toward the end the nest was starting to sag, and I worried that it might fall out of the tree. But it did not.

I hope they come back next year!

o

One of my favorite things to do when up at my trailer is to "sit in the back yard" which is basically a narrow strip, in the shade, before the impenetrable wall of "cedar", in this case, native Thuja occidentalis, begins. As you sit there being quiet and still, you gradually become aware of dozens of birds flitting about in the cedars, just a few feet from where you are sitting. Sometimes, depending on time of year, they are preparing nests, other times, like around now, they are feeding on seeds of the trees. Very entertaining.

+oM

o

It's 13 days each for incubation and fledging, so the chicks are already a couple of days old in the 9 July pic.

Resin

o

Awwww, that's so sweet.
thanks for sharing.
I'm planting more conifers.
:) Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here