{{gwi:749339}}

{{gwi:749341}}

{{gwi:749343}}

same tree last week.. 2012.. in case you dont know.. lol

seriously!!1.. as trees.. these things just keep growing ... ken

Comments (14)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Do any spruce cultivators keep a brighter color throughout summer? How do they look in the winter?

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Bump - Ken do you still have these photos?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

of course i do ....

for your viewing pleasure...

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

i tried a mind meld ... and apparently the NEW pbucket doesnt jive with the old .. so much for better and improved.. lol

so i will try again

as an addendum... this is one tree.. that i have never been able.. to capture its magnificence... with the camera ... no matter how many times i tried ... and we are talking hundreds of pix ....

ken

ps: they still are not appearing on my machine.. either i have used up my free space.. if so.. they will appear after the 17th .... otherwise.. i have to go to grandma's.. and will work on them later or tomorrow ... as of now.. its a mystery, wrapped in an enigma.. broiled in bacon ....

purchased 2002

pix from 2008 ....
    {{gwi:749339}}

{{gwi:749343}}

{{gwi:749341}}

same tree last week.. 2012.. in case you dont know.. lol

seriously!! .. as trees.. these things just keep growing ... ken

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Looks good now. Don't go deleting the damn things now!

• ricksample
    10 years ago

It looks good thanks for posting... I'll be ordering this here shortly. It definitely isn't as yellow as some of the other pics I found which was my concern.

Original Author
    10 years ago

hey

do i have to say it again ...

or can i just yell .. lol...

it IS MORE YELLOW THAN IT LOOKS ....

i said its impossible for a non-professional camera dude to snap a great pic...

maybe if sam is lurking around.. he can with his skills...

or anyone else ...

you will enjoy it .... trust in me ... see link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: its a form of enabling.. lol ...

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I know Ken lol... This is one of those plants that you really need to see in person to see the color. Some of the pictures I found were pure yellow, others were pure silver & your plant looks more blue/green with yellow tips. It's definitely the lighting or camera which causes the different color variations. Some of the other ones I found online that were much smaller looked a lot more yellow with very little blue/green (see below)... this one has the color of my 'Skylands' which burnt to a crisp. Some yellow is ok, but I just didn't want another pure yellow conifer.

But your picture was just what I was looking for... most of the ones posted were very small plants or larger but up close shots of the needles. I couldn't find a mature one shot from a distance until you posted those.

• OneHeidi
    9 years ago

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been loving this tree for awhile and conifers are on sale right now at the local nursery, so I picked a little guy. Didn't realize about the grafting. Is that the root stock putting out the shoot (new lighter/brighter needles)? Should I whack it off? Go back and exchange it for a better one?

Full...

Tag...

Top...

Graft?

Original Author
    9 years ago

should have started your own post... have no fear ...

last pic.. just above... the grafted scion is on the left ...

correct??? ... the right goes up to the lighter green???

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 9:12

• OneHeidi
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Ken! I will post solo next time. Yes, I think the graft is on the left - see fuller picture below. I know just enough to be sort of suspicious about the shoot at the nursery, but it seemed like most of them looked like this so I thought it might just be how the tree grows.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

beautiful graft. last photo cut here with one very precise quick cut so it cuts clean.

PULL on the rootstock (what you're cutting off) and that bend will allow you more wiggle room. Keep the pot stationary and pull on the rootstock....

Then when you plant it, plant the rootball a little cockeyed so the (remaining) graft goes up as straight as possible.

Dax

• OneHeidi
    9 years ago

Great - thanks for the info, Dax!