Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Pinus sylvestris 'Bennett Compact'

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

A Bob Fincham offering. purchased 5-6 years ago.

A slow growing dwarf form that will come close to 15" high in 10 years.

Love the blue needles.

Dave

{{gwi:785256}}

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 10:38

Comments (9)

• jinxz5
    10 years ago

Dave, That's really a nice plant. I had almost forgotten how pretty some of the Scot pines are. We have given up on them in our garden do to disease in central Indiana. Jay

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I have (1) sylvestris: Barrie Bergman. It's a stunner.

Like you Jay, I stopped planting them. If Barrie Bergman self destructs, that's the last one for me. Pinus nigra, I don't own one. sylvestris is more tolerant than nigra.

Dave, you have all your conifers treated right? That'll make a huge difference.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Truth is PWN won't attack single dwarf specimens in a garden setting.

They like large groves of these conifers and that's is what they go after. This infestation has pretty much moved through are area killing all nigra and sylvestris species.

I have one Pinus nigra 'Hornibrookiana' doing well and not affected by this disease.

If you like these species plant them and as my Chinese friend told me "not to worry".

Yes all my conifers are treated but there is no cure for PWN. Not treatable with any insecticide.

{{gwi:785258}}

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 17:50

• jinxz5
    10 years ago

We still have a good deal of nigra and sylvestris in the area but of course less every year. Lots of monoculture plantings are rapidly going down the tube. But I didn't aim to steal your post. Your plants are both beautiful. Jay

• gardener365
    10 years ago

They still get needlecast. Your 'Hornbrookiana' is actually densiflora x nigra.

Agree, if it lives, and keeps livin', that's a good thing. I just won't grow them. I have an investment of time here and space for cultivars and species to attain full-sizes of 40-50 years old w/o ever touching and I don't want to mess with anything with potential to self-destruct. I will comment that 'Graceful Grace' is a true and tested doug fir in humid & hot climates that attains great size and is resistant or bulletproof to fungus. The rest of them, forget it. You'll see a species that looks good at 70-100' occasionally, but the other 999 of 1000 look worse than terrible.

Still smiling... not trying to be negative.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Correction, the correct spelling is 'Hornibrookiana' according to Edwin. Nothing said by him to the densiflora x nigra species change. I see 'Jane Kluis' carries the hybrid species name.

Going to relocate this fall. Probably a give away to the right person.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

'Hornibrookiana' is the correct spelling.
    It's not a cross, it was found as a witches' broom in Seneca Park, Rochester N.Y. in a true Pinus nigra species tree.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

oops! old information being jumbled in my head....

Dax

• dietzjm
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Dave. I too really like the blue color of the long needles. This one just went on my wish list!

Matt