Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

My small garden

ireena (zone 5-6)
11 years ago

I am happy to participate in this forum, and that you told me to send my garden photos. My garden is very small, but I was able to gather a small collection. Plants are purchased right here in my country (Latvia), and also brought from Estonia, the Czech Republic. Of course, I do not have a very rare plant, but I have some interesting conifers, that are native plants and elsewhere are rare (I think):). One of them is Picea abies Luua P�rl' - Estonian Picea abies WB. She is one of my favorite Picea. Light green color, very dense and compact, new spring buds looks like pearls. This one is about 10-11 years old. Only 75 cm high.

Ireena

Comments (31)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ireena, you've a nice selection of conifers!
    I see that you don't have purchased conifers from The Netherlands yet, I think we have to change that, if you agree ofcoarse :0)
    How about trading some scions with you of the 'Luua Paerl'...

• ghgwv
    11 years ago

Great picture. Looks like it came from a book on conifers.
    Gary

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

WOW...First class! Nice foto ! Thats the blend i can never seem to get right. Very attractive display!
    AL

• Cher
    11 years ago

Ireena that is one stunning photo there. You did some excellent combinations with your color. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
    Cher

• Cher
    11 years ago

Ireena WOW! You have done beautiful gardens! Let me ask, are you going to keep these pruned to fit or do you move them out as they grow too big and replace them?

You really have another beautiful area there.
    Cher

• Fiddlegal08
    11 years ago

Ireena! Inspiring! Looking at your gardens makes me realize I can do a lot more with my small space. Beautiful! Welcome to the forum (from one amateur to another)!

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Remarkably beautiful, more like a conifer display garden than any I've ever seen. What contrast and color!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Indeed! better! than FANTASTIC!

Dax

• sluice
    11 years ago

Looks super! Thanks for this tour!

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, chohio!

I am just creating the form, but a little. I prefer slow-growing, dwarf conifers. I have some major trees that I leave - big on future. But the plans movement is my second hobby:) I'm creating a form of composition and color changes, locations of plants, but it seems that they like it :)
    Our climate is humid and not so hot and I can replace the plants at any time. They even do not notice it. Maybe a little delay in their growth, but that is exactly what I need.Of course, my neighbors also obtained some new plants from me who has no place in my garden:)

Ireena

• ricksample
    11 years ago

Amazing job! I also like that curved pathway, the red and gray stones look nice

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Ireena, You have first class gardens there! Very choice...How about a list of cultivars used in the second foto? Very appealing. Thanks
    Al

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Ireena, may I for fun guess your plants in photo 2? :)

Juniperus squamata 'Floreant' or 'Gold Dust'
    Picea abies 'Little Gem'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Tuffet'
    Larix kaempferi 'Wolterdingen'

behind:
    Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
    several pines, lol...,) (1) juniper.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gardener365
    Ireena, may I for fun guess your plants in photo 2? :)

Right!! Almost....:)
    Floreant is right, no Gold Dust.

from left - Pinus mugo 'Ophir', Picea abies 'Push', Picea omorica 'Karel', Pinus mugo 'Pampino', Pinus mugo 'Varella', Picea abies 'Little Gem', then orange - Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Tuffet'. From right - Larix kaempferi 'Blue Dwarf'. On the backside - Larix kaempferi Kreicy' (not good visible), Thuja plicata 'Wipcord', Pinus strobus 'Pendula', Juniperus communis 'Gold Cone' and 'Stricta', Pinus nigra 'Nana', 'Pyramidalis' and 'Green Rocket'. Pinus strobus 'Macopin'. Dwarf conifers will stay right here, in this bed, but big on future - like Pinus nigra 'Pyramidalis'will be moved to another location - I will formed from them new composition. I like to play with colors and forms - like on canvas. Conifers are so colorfull and different:)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely, Ireena.

I'm also glad I tested well ,)

Dax

• Hodoan
    9 years ago

Hi Ireena,

It is a lovely garden of yours.
    Thanks for sharing!

There is the rare beautiful Floreant juniper in you garden, that's great. I am looking fro this juniper for my garden.

Do you have the juniper as my attached images? Please name it if available.

Tks & rgds,
    Doan

• bamboo_nuts
    9 years ago

I like :-).
    Cool combination of color and texture.
    Like you I wish I had a bigger lot of land.
    But you've done a great job with such a confined space.
    J.N

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Doan , make a separate post with the pic
    ron

• Hodoan
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ron!

I am sorry for inconveniences caused.

Rgds,
    Doan

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Doan , no inconvenience,,I'm sure you will get answers to your question if you make separate post
    top of conifer page , click , post a message, include pic
    ron

This post was edited by plantkiller.il.5 on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 21:20

• Diana Diana
    7 years ago

Wow! Your garden is impressive! I have developed passion for conifers as well!

• Vivien23- Zone 6B
    6 years ago

Very pretty in 2012. But it looks like you left no room for the plants to grow. How does it look in 2017?

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Vivien, I have two gardens, and this garden is like "kindergarten". I replant a lot of conifers every year to my big garden on rural area. It is about 3 ha large.

• cairnssmith
    5 years ago

Ireena, This is so inspiring, your collection is absolutely beautifully ordered. Thanks so much for sharing it. I am just planting a garden like this and I LOVE yours.

ireena (zone 5-6) thanked cairnssmith
  • stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ireena, I'd love to see an update of your beautiful garden.

ireena (zone 5-6) thanked stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
  • plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

does anyone see Ireena on facebook ?

perhaps you could ask her for update here ,,,,PRETTY PLEASE

ron

ps . Ireena last posted nov 2017

ireena (zone 5-6) thanked plantkiller_il_5
  • ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Ron, I am glad that you still remember me:) I'll try to make a newest update soon.

Ireena

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

SWEET IREENA ! THANKS ,,, although ,cairn and stuart brought it up

every one loves your gardenS

(do you still have both ? )

ron

• Garen Rees
    5 years ago

Thanks Ireena! I'm excited to see you place too.

ireena (zone 5-6) thanked Garen Rees