Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

Help with Spruce and the "Tree Killers"

eclecticcottage
10 years ago

We have a few spruce trees that were unfortunately planted MANY years ago near utility lines. The tree hackers have been by (utility co) and topped two and trimmed a "window" in another.

So...now...we have some problems.

One of the two they topped, the bottom was pretty dead already. Lots of dead branches. So now it looks pretty ratty. I was always under the impression that new branches wouldn't grow on the bottom of a spruce-is this true? If not, we can easily handle trimming out all of the dead to allow for new growth. I'd rather not remove it entirely since it's a nice wind break and noise break from road traffic.

Then there's the one with the "window" (half bare for 10-15' now). Will this trimming cause it to be more susecptible to breakage or being uprooted in the wind? It has the possibility of causing damage if it were to break or fall, depending on the direction it fell in. We might be able to convince them to top it at least when they come back to deal with some other issues they found. Or we could just remove it ourselves altogether, there's enough (structure free) space opposite the direction the wires are in to fell it.

Comments (5)

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

You didn't say haw many trees are in the screen. So I will assume there are three and I will base my recommendations on that.

Your first question..true.

Second, and unknown. Tree health has an important factor and I don't think your compromised spruces are a good candidates for longevity.

Two choices. If you can put up with the discombobulated look to continue the wind break use factor then keep them or get rid of them.

Personally I think you grow tired of the compromised look. and by your description as to their health I would bet they are in decline.

My recommendation: It's time to remove them and plant farther back outside of the power company easement.

If you do there are plenty of recommendations as to what replacement cultivars to use for good screening.

If so a photo would be helpful then we can go from there.

Dave

• gardener365
    10 years ago

No, new branches will not start again from below.

"window" is aesthetic, however, pruning it this time of the year when insects are in large numbers opens it up to borers and may even draw birds such as sapsuckers. The pruning also with open wounds will open it up for disease. You'll just have to watch.

It's time to remove them as you concluded.... start again with something different that's more narrow: Serbian spruce, i.e. grows quick, extremely attractive, & still give it/or another more room than necessary.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you are always better off.. to demand they remove them.. FOR FREE .. while they are there ...most of the time they will... just so they never have to come back ...

if you have a contact person.. or phone number... ask if they will consider such ... instead of waiting to find out which storm will cause future problems ....

ken

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn, I figured as much. Yes, there are only three that really matter. Two are around the property line and one is actually on a neighbor's lot. Not a big problem as we take care of their property for them anyway, and they aren't overly attached to the trees. We already told them one might need to come out because of a pole replacement, and also what the "hackers" had done and that it might lead to removal of more than one. However...because one definately isn't ours and the other two are marginal, I don't know that I want to put a lot of $$ into the spot if they do have to come out, since there's always the possibility that they could sell and the buyers would just remove whatever we planted anyway. Property lines out here can be a little fuzzy, and we have conflicting reports of exactly where ours is (by a few feet)-we don't have a fence or anything where it could be much of an issue outside of these trees. I might just toss a bunch of wildflower seed in if we have to remove them and leave it at that, and wait to see how big of an impact it would really make wind and noise wise.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

I don't know why municipalities don't just pass laws that you can't plant certain types of trees near power lines. It would save everyone: the homeowner, the power company, your neighbors when your power is out for 3 days, a lot of trouble. It just prevents what will happen sooner or later anyhow. The utility has an easement right to cut down or trim to heck whatever they deem necessary anyhow.