Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Spruce dying from bottom on up

Posted by diy_rook MI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 10:56

Hey all - I have many Blue Spruce on my property and all seem to be dying from the bottom up. I thought lack of sunlight might be the issue for some that have become surrounded by bigger trees but even Blue Spruce's on their own with plenty of sunlight as affected. For some that had many clearly dead lower branches - I have been cutting the branches off. Is there a way to revive them? Is cutting the dead branches the best thing to do? I'm not painting the stubs after I cut them.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Spruce dying from bottom on up

hey... here in MI... there is a disease on older pungens... of which.. it is untreatable ... well let me put it this way.. it isnt worth the money .... to have them sprayed .. as the neighbor did for 5 years running with no effect ... someone else will address such ....

anyway..

the other thing is that these are.. technically.. forest trees .... they have the inherent genetics.. to lose lower branches.. as they develop into the telephone poles they are ...

look at your pic above.... if you were to trim all the branches off to say 6 feet.. you have a nice compact tree up there ...

your base problem is.. with the shade and all.. that the lower part of the tree... just isnt going to look like it used to ...

but frankly ... with the disease.. the issue for me comes down to whether i can remove a tree that size for free.. with my chainsaw.. or if i mess around with it for 10 years.. then have to pay hundreds of dollars for removal ....

if you were to cut that thing.. flush to the ground.. it will be dead... no need to stump kill nor grind ....

and you could plant something else... a few feet away .. more attuned to the new shade levels...

no tree is forever

ken

o

I have an older one that looked the same then even worse,had a hortculturist check it ,she said malnutrician.Started feeding it heavily and its is recovering remarkably.

o

Ok thanks - it is worth a shot. What did you use or recommend, fertilizer stakes?

o

The problem with that tree is most certainly NOT malnutrition.......in fact, malnutrition seldom manifests as interior and lower branch dieback. Not sure I'd give much credence to the horticulturist......

Colorado blue spruces are prone to a number of problems, both disease and insect. Without seeing inperson, that looks suspiciously like a combination of needle cast and spruce aphids (adelgids). Treatable for sure, but when the interior foliage is gone like that, it never comes back - you just have that little tuft of new growth on the ends. Silly.

Cultural conditions also come into play and can affect how easily these trees contract disease and pest problems. They are NOT "forest" trees naturally - they grow right out in the open and full on sunlight suits them best. Typically they have lower limbs that sweep the ground and usually do not become "telephone poled". They also have some rather distinct climate preferences - cold winters, hot, dry summers. It is rare to see a healthy mature blue spruce in the PNW for that reason - too mild, too wet and that combination of unfavorable conditions just causes sufficient stress to weaken the trees and make them most susceptible to insect and disease issues.

And you never want to fertilize a stressed tree - it just increases the distress and the plant is not able to metabolize the nutrients properly. Most established trees, especially conifers, seldom ever require fertilization (and any horticulturist worth their salt should know it!!)

This post was edited by gardengal48 on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 15:39

o

The Horticulturist I mention is the in charge person at Whiteflower Farm ,Very well known nursey in CT.Large Bluespruce deplete the nutrician unless nuturally added supplemental feeding is required.My tree was much bigger tree than in this case and in 2 years of feeding it looks like a new tree.

o

if you insist.. just fertilize your lawn properly ...and the tree will get more than it ever needs.. which is nothing ...

you arent feeding those larger trees behind.. so why would this one.. mysteriously need such????

and as far as spikes go.. just send me the money.. and i will pray for you.. and that will do as good as spikes ...

its needle cast and age ..... and there is nothing you can do...

ken

o

Common sense helps solve these mysteries.Trees in a natural enviroment get natural feeding ,leaves,limbs etc,etc.Trees in an unnatural setting ,a front yard where natures debris is removed regularly ,whos roots go under side walks ,streets ,sand fill with no nutrician need to be fed.You can go to the bank with that .Tree spikes are certainly not very efficent.I use natures fertilizer.It works wonders,As a fellows says "keep it simple stupid"

o

What gardengal said.
I've seen many a spruce look like this in the DC suburbs on the lawn of a McMansion with a kelly green lawn, golf course quality, that was clearly pumped full of nutrients and irrigated. it's not a lack of nutrients. It's just that blue spruces don't belong in the east coast climate, end of discussion. Maybe they do better up in the high plains & mountains of the Appalachian and Blue Ridge. Some people get lucky and they look acceptable for many years, decades even. It's very rare. I know a very wealthy guy in the suburbs of PA with a huge (Mc)Mansion on several acres - he came from Colorado. He's been struggling to establish CBSs (& Doug Firs) but they keep dying on him. Probably because his landscaper buys a huge one, B&B and then plants it in very rich PA bottomland soil, then fertilizes all the liriope and perennials planted around them. It slowly kills them.

"The Horticulturist I mention is the in charge person at Whiteflower Farm ,Very well known nursery in CT"
Well, this was good for a laugh. If fertilzing helped your CBS, consider yourself very lucky.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 11:40

Typical. Almost every older BS in this area looks like that, or worse. Simply not appropriate for east US climate, except maybe the Canadian border or upper midwest. Yet the retail stores/nurseries persist in selling them, and they get bought.

o

Common sense helps solve these mysteries

You're right!! And common sense dictates that a tree accustomed to a rather arid climate with some very distinct seasonal temperature extremes is not going to fair well in a climate that does not offer similar. And as to the need for nutrients in a cultivated garden, that is somewhat up for grabs - if other plants are healthy and with a lush, green lawn (most likely fertilized from time to time) adding nutrients is often unnecessary. Regardless, plant "malnutrition" does not manifest itself by the dying off of inner foliage from the ground up. Period. And that's an opinion coming from a degreed and certified horticulturist - me.

o

"Typical. Almost every older BS in this area looks like that, or worse."

Although the funny thing is, once in a blue moon (no pun intended!) you see ones that look ok. In my parent's yard the house builder had piled some surplus fill up into a berm, maybe 3-4' high, to block a view of a big ugly VEPCO transformer. My parents planted a couple BS as a further screen on top of that berm. As of them selling the house in the early 2000s, they'd been there at least 30 years, were about 25'-30' tall, and still full to the bottom. They had good drainage and were never coddled...I'm sure my parents never messed with fertilizing our lawn which was an undistinguished mix of crabgrass & bermuda grass.

o

I have to laugh at all this back and forth.

This pungens is slowly dieing.

No amount of anything will save it.

30 max years out of their normal habitat is about it. Most will cut and run before then. Yes I know their are exceptions. There always are.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here