Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canadian Hemlock root system

Posted by naal 7 NoVA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 11:10

Hi all -

My elderly father has two beautiful Canadian hemlocks on both ends of his house, within 5 feet of the exterior. They are approximately 12 years old.

He's thinking of removing them because of concerns that the root systems are invading the water/sewer lines. He has no proof that this is happening, but it's more for preventative measures.

Is this conifer known to cause problems? My knowledge is that they are rather shallow rooted, but hey, I'm no expert!

Thanks in advance to your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canadian Hemlock root system

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 17:20

They are typically shallow rooted. IMO, hemlock would be less likely to affect deep water lines than most other species.

The location & depth of any piping in relation to the trees would be of interest of course.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 17:23

If roots are getting into pipes the problem is the condition of the pipes.

o

Hemlocks I've seen in the forest that have been tipped over by the wind have had root systems flat as a pancake.

I suppose someone will now point out that the deep-rooted ones don't windthrow! But, I'm in agreement with the above comments........not likely to cause a problem.

Bboy alludes to old pipes. While not an inexpensive proposition, new water and sewer laterals are wonderful things.

+oM

o

Like many trees, it depends on how well they are watered or how ample the rainfall. Ample water results in shallower roots. How deep are these waterlines in your area?

tj

o

• Posted by naal 7 NoVA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 7:46

Thanks all for responding. My father lives North of Pittsburgh, where they all ways seem to get plenty of water. The house was built around 1950 and sewer lines were put in during the 70s (it had a septic tank prior to that). He doesn't know how deep the lines are.

o

boy you have this backwards... lol

if your father wants them removed.. remove them for him ...

and dont call him 'elderly' anymore... he is a vibrant man in the prime of his life ... and if he wants them gone.. so be it ...

what's he supposed to do.. sit there and worry about them for the rest of his life???? please ... give him the peace of mind he is searching for..

good luck

ken

o

• Posted by naal 7 NoVA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 10:23

Yes, my father is pushing 90 and is in the prime of his life! He's still trying to figure out what he wants to do when he grows up. :-)

I get your point, Ken, about peace of mind. Maybe I can plant hostas in the place where he removes the hemlocks. (I'm always looking for a way to expand my hosta collection, even if it's 300 miles away form VA.)

o

I wonder how this turned out as I have been digging up two trees that are very old and have these huge roots under the ball of the tree that are going deep into the ground.It is amazing to me.. and I am not sure I can get them all out.

o

why do you need to get them out, duck????

trust me.. NO ONE.. digs up all the roots ... there is simply no good reason to do it..

how about we move this to a new post ... and you give us more facts.. presuming you want an answer ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here