Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please tell me about weeping alaskan cedar -cupressus nootkaensis

Posted by gottagarden z5 western NY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 11:17

I am planning to plant 7 of these in my front yard as the major focal point. I have plenty of sun, space, good soil. Also have cold winters and occasional nasty winter windstorms and deer.

Everything I read says they're wonderful, but am wondering about people's real experiences with them.

Are they truly deer resistant? Here deer eat my silver fir but do not touch any spruce.

There is one in town that is absolutely gorgeous, but it's also in a sheltered location.

If there are any major problems I'm unaware of with these trees, I'd love to find out BEFORE I start this project.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please tell me about Nootka Cypress Cupressus nootkatensis

The weather shouldn't be any problem. Deer, impossible to say, as they have different tastes in different places. You'll need to ask them.

The other important point to remember, they're fairly slow-growing.

Resin

PS spellcheck: Nootka Cypress Cupressus nootkatensis (not a cedar Cedrus!)

o
RE: Please tell me about weeping alaskan cedar -cupressus nootkae

Just looking at these today at Menards. 50% off, but couldn't find a price tag on them. Interesting trees. I'll grab one when they go to 75% :)

o
RE: Please tell me about weeping alaskan cedar -cupressus nootkae

Alaskan cedar is one of the most versatile trees--they're native to some of the more extreme conditions in the Cascade Mountains so are pre-adapted for stress. Furthermore, they bring a subalpine touch to wherever they're planted.

Unfortunately, because they do so well, they've been way overplanted in eastern WA--it wouldn't hurt if our neighbors would go for just a few more ponderosa pine and Douglas-fir.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here