Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

New camera testing (at Foxhollow!)

bluespruce53
13 years ago

Finally got round to buying a new camera, so here are a few bits and bobs from my garden.

Pinus strobus 'Doogle' - plant no 1.

Pinus strobus 'Doogle' - plant no. 2.

Picea orientalis 'Smee WB' - new broom I found about 3 years ago, looks promising.

Pinus sylvestris 'Avon Heath no. 1' - only transplanted this a year ago, which checked this years growth, so I guess it will put on more vigour next year.

Pinus parviflora 'Ogon-janome' - variegation detail.

Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata' - correct plant, and this is how the suffused golden variegation should look on the tops of all exposed branches. This plant is never! a golden variety, so if that's what anyone is growing as this, then wrong plant unfortunately.

Pinus strobus 'Tiny Curls' - unfortunate name really, as this is probably the faster growing of all the dwarf twisted leaf varieties.

Pinus ponderosa 'Richard Bush' - 2 year graft...some doubt expressed previously if this is a ponderosa ?

Ooops! sorry, not conifers, my new grass garden.

Pinus contorta 'Golden Striker' - A selected seedling from 'Chief Joseph' by John Proudfoot in Scotland. Golden all year, but nowhere near the colour of 'Chief Joseph' in winter.

Pinus peuce 'Horstmann'(Zwergform)

Cryptomeria japonica 'Tenzan'

Comments (31)

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Very nice. I always enjoy your photo's.

What is the name of the camera you upgraded to? Nice photo's indeed.

Dave

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Very nice. I always enjoy your photo's.

What is the name of the camera you upgraded to? Nice photo's indeed.

Dave

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shall I answer twice! Dave :0)
    Seriously tho, the camera upgrade is nothing special, my old camera was a Fugi FinePix S700, the new one is a Fugi FinePix S1800. Always been reasonably happy with the old cameras performance, so thought I'd stick with it, plus they are not expensive cameras, only cost me about £150 or about $230 from Amazon.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

about :Pinus ponderosa 'Richard Bush',certainly not a ponderosa.Look like a Pinus uncinata (?)...
    For the rest : super.
    Clément

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Clement, the problem with this plant ID is, if it is a Jerry Morris introduction, how can it be an uncinata ? Surely it's too vigorous for that species anyway. I doubt it's uncinata.

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Spruce...sorry about the double post.

I am about 2000 miles away, at my daughters in California.

I am using this thing called IPad. It doesn't always do what I want it to do. Could be I really don' know what I am doing. Since it did not come with any instructions it is hit and miss till acclimate.

Dave

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A couple more!

Pinus ponderosa 'Richard Bush' - bud close-up

Pinus parviflora 'Iona' - another John Proudfoot introduction.

Abies concolor 'Masonic Broom'

Picea glauca 'Tiny'

Various one year Sciadopitys grafts.

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

Bluespruce

What are the cultivars of sciadopitys you have grafted?

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

My plant Pinus ? "Richard Bush"
    Are you sure it's the plant found by Jerry Morris ??
    Are you sure it's really these plant ?
    Here Pinus uncinata are fast growing.It's a tree.
    Clément

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

You bought yourself a very good camera Stephen, very nice photo's!
    I'm glad that you see now that that Pinus peuce 'Horstmann's Zwergform' isn't a Pinus pumila cultivar ;0)
    Spellcheck: Pinus strobus 'Tiny Curls' must be written as 'Tiny Kurls'...
    What was the formerly shortening and number of the Pinus parviflora 'Iona'?
    Are the 'Doogle' 1 and 2 witches'broom found as seedling selections or as original witches'brooms?

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Clement - It seems my 'Richard Bush' is not the same as your 'Richard Bush' ??
    Edwin - There is no recorded number for 'Iona', unfortunately John Proudfoot didn't keep perfect records for all the named parviflora varieties. The Pinus strobus 'Doogle' photos are two different plants of the same cultivar, and was a selected seedling by me from a large batch of understocks at a local Nursery, still early days yet to how good it might be.
    Euan - the Sciadopitys cultivars are: 'Gold Star', 'Green Star', 'Golden Rush', 'Green Parasol', 'John Mitsch', 'Ossario Gold', and 'Tsai Cheng'. Forgot to let you know, if you still want material from Thuja plicata 'Holly Turner'...no problem.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Thanks, Blue, for the test shots. Camera seems very nice. Although a few more test shots wouldn't hurt. Ã

I tried the 'Iona' last year and it didn't make it through summer. May have to try again as you have a nice specimen there.

tj

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Stephen,
    I haven't seen any old or new cameras here. :)
    Just your eyes behind, which see conifers and grasses well since ages...
    Congratulations!
    Zsolt

• kbguess
    13 years ago

Blue,

in regards to 'Golden Striker'... I was communicating with Dennis Dodge about this plant since I knew he introduced a number of J. Proudfoot conifers in the U.S. He forwarded an email to me from Mr. Proudfoot which says
    "Golden Striker was my seedling which came from either Frisian Gold or possibly from Pinus banksiana Uncle Fogy which was growing adjacent." any thoughts about this?
    Keith

• kbguess
    13 years ago

I neglected to mention that the photos are appreciated as always. I never skip a Foxhollow thread.

Keith

• sluice
    13 years ago

Wow, fantastic! All around! Thanks.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Keith,
    Interesting, Can't really tell you any more, but my info came via a direct telephone conversation with John Proudfoot a few years ago prior to him sending me my original material. The only possible explanation I can think of, could be that he is not completely sure from which plants in his collection the seedling originated, and may have changed his mind one way or the other

• botann
    13 years ago

I never miss a Foxhollow thread either.
    Mike

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more!

Abies lasiocarpa 'Alpine Beauty'

Picea abies 'Tompa' - great little spruce, and easy to propagate from cuttings.

Abies lasiocarpa 'Beth Mini'

sale plants

Pinus tabulaeformis 'Jiuzhaigou Valley'

Abies magnifica 'Mt. Si'

• sprucebud
    13 years ago

Very nice. In the photo of Picea abies 'Tompa' please can you identify the lime-green pine(?) top right, also a nice shape.
    Like your sales area!! Do you have a new list out?
    Richard

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

My Boy Blue .....does it again. Really like 'Doogle' plant 1 and 'Doogle' plant 2. Interesting shape to them. Picea orientlas 'Smee w/b' looks to be a winner as well. You got the goods Stephen.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Keith, indeed it's an interesting story about the 'Golden Striker'.
    It could make sence that this is a Pinus banksiana cultivar or a cross between Pinus banksiana and Pinus contorta.
    The thing is that 'Golden Striker' will take with grafting for about 100% like most of the Pinus banksiana cultivars do.
    I'm always happy when I will succeed with 50% taking with the Pinus contorta cultivars...

Stephen, I like your garden overvieuw pic very much, your garden is chanced very much since I visited you with the Dutch Conifer Society field trip in 2003.

Other spellchecks:
    Pinus tabulaeformis
    Must be written as Pinus tabuliformis.

Abies magnifica 'Mt. Si'
    Must be written as Abies magnifica var. shastensis 'Mt. Si'.

I hope I helped you with this info...

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Richard, the golden pine you refer to is Pinus sylvestris 'Trollguld'...A Brita Johansson from Sweden intro, it's one of a trio of all year round golden Scots pines from Sweden, the others are Hexeguld, and 'Vargguld'.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin, thanks for the corrections as always, and yes the garden has changed a lot since you were here in 2003...you got any photos ?

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Richard, forgot to say, a new list should be up by the end of the weekend...I hope!

Pinus uncinata 'Pavlinka'

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxhollow Garden

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Before Edwin get the chance to jump on me!...spellcheck!
    should be Pinus sylvestris 'Hexguld' not Hexeguld

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Glad to see you around Stephen.

What would the Conifers Forum be without Foxhollow Photos ?

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, unfortunately I had no digital photo camera with me at that time in 2003, but I have your garden from that time still in my head :0)
    My memory card in my head isn't still full I guess, there's plenty of space on it for new conifers and their good written names...

I saw that name 'Hexeguld' indeed but I wasn't sure at that moment if it must be written that way... 'Hexguld' it is for sure ;0)

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

What an orgy of amazing photos and plants. As a new collector, I am constantly falling in love with photos of conifers from overseas. 'Golden Striker' is GREAT and a few of those other mini's just look so neat I want to hug them. It must be some kind of sickness that I would like a plant so much but after seeing a nice semi-mature specimen of 'Mt. Si', one really has to wonder why anyone would plant one of those nasty mugo pines from a big box store over it. Amazing stuff Stephen - thanks for sharing.

Oh and I wish I could bring a few thousand quid to your nursery and try and wipe you out! LOL

-Will

• danael
    13 years ago

where I can find a Pinus uncinata like yours Clement 2006?it looks wonderful!

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Danael, where you live ? I have many Pinus uncinata, I use for rootstock.
    Clément