Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marsui

Are these Aroborvitaes ?

marsui
10 years ago

I bought a house 2 years ago that has a string of evergreens near a fence. I want to plant Arborvitaes for more privacy as the ones I have are very short.

I'm a newbie when it comes to evergreens and I was wondering if anyone could identify what these particular evergreens were. Some of them are a little taller than 6 feet, but after 2 years, i feel if they were Arborvitaes already, they would be taller. I'm just worried maybe they were not planted correctly and something stunted their growth, or they are just something else completely. If they are arborvitaes, it wouldn't seem to make much sense to replace them.

(I attached an image, and I have others. Ignore the bush with flowers!

Comments (9)

• marsui
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an image of the inside of one of them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

all plants... oh.. hi.. welcome ...

all plants are naked inside... no sunlight for green tissue ...

there are about 100 named arbs.. thuja ...

yes yours are arbs ... and they are.. what they are ... if you want taller ones.. you will have to find a named variety that does what you want ...

see link for a rather thin but tall one.. grows about a foot per year.. insure single leaders ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: mine is the 6th pic

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Thuja ocidentalis 'Smaragd' is the right name...oh...hi Ken, no 'Smargard', remember ;0)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

There is a lot of dead bits on the live part of the foliage shown in your close-up, indicating something is going on. Otherwise, this cultivar can be quite slow if site conditions do not encourage faster growth.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

joy!!!!

how in the heck. do you remember my mis-spellings... crikey man ... lol

these are also known as emerald green... and the shape they are.. is what they are ... i would call them 'squat' ... though they will never stop growing... it will take decades to put on height ...

i suggested a thin tall version.. as it SEEMS... on your pic.. you might have a smaller yard ... who needs height... if they swallow your yard ...

ken

ps: its easy for joy to remember the name.. since its in his native language ... here in the states.. its called... smar-gard .. by me and a thousand other peeps ...... i dont speak dutch.. and have no clue how to say .... smar-ragged????

pps: did you notice joy.. that though that is what i suspected it was.. i did not give the name in my first post.. for fear that you would hunt me down and mock me.. .lol ... lets see.. you would say ===>>> ;^)

ppps: BTW.. quit pulling them apart.. to look inside.. and you wont see the brown stuff.. lol ... are you in snow load country??? ... if so.. God, ice and wet snow.. will eventually destroy them ... hence the suggestion of single leader plants .... if you replace them ....

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Ken, you're right, you've to say it as smar-ragged, which isn't that difficult, otherwise you've to practise it a few times.
    Btw it was found in Denmark, and I'm from The Netherlands :0)
    The differences in both languages are huge...

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Ken, you're right, you've to say it as smar-ragged, which isn't that difficult"

A more accurate pronunciation is "smar'out" - see link below

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to 'smaragd pronunciation in Danish', click on play button

This post was edited by pineresin on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 3:48

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Farrrrrrr out!

Emerald and Emerald Green are translations into English and not the actual name of the cultivar, should therefore never be presented as 'Emerald' or 'Emerald Green', in single quotes.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The differences in languages between Danish and Dutch are huge, but the way they're saying 'Smaragd' is the same.

To me it doesn't sound like "smar-out" or "farrr out", it's "Smarrragggd" what I hear.
    Maybe our differences aren't that huge at all.... ;0)

Bboy is right, a lot of European conifers were translated in English, especialy the German ones.
    By doing this they're going to live their own life which is wrong and may not be accepted!