Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root bound conifers

Posted by qwade 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:51

Time of year I see a lot of root bound trees. Nurserys do not like to take them back and pot up. Cost money! so they discount them.

Most of my plantings survive despite my "help" but I was interested to see how others deal with this.

What is your procedure for planting of root bound trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root bound conifers

Shave 'em. Including a link to a relevant post by Dr. Bert Cregg at MSU.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another close shave

o

wonder what you do.. when you dont have two burly women with a power washer handy??? .. lol ...

timing is imperative in this process ... fall or early spring ... so the plant has time to settle in.. and get its roots pumping.. before the heat of summer ...

ken

o

Usually I tease as best I can

couple years ago H D had 1 gal P. abies Little Gem half price,,,small roots all over outside of ball
sliced& teased one
other I dug fingers up thru bottom,,pulling & tearing until I had a mushroom,,,,that's doubled in size now.
other died over 1st winter.
Fine for a $4 plant,,,would or could I with 5gal,,,$65 beauty?
Don't know,,,ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here