Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wally_c

Green splendor multi leader

Wally_C
9 years ago

I recently purchased 20 small Green Splendor Arborvitae about 2 foot tall each. I got them online. My first mistake was i didn't request all single leader plants. 15 of them are but 5 of them have two trunks basically from the rootball up of equal heights. Can I just cut one of them off at the rootball or what do i do. Zone 6 Cincinnati area.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

plant them ... let them deal with winter ...

and let them get established.. next summer ...

and then.. next fall.. THEN lets remove half the canopy ...

since you have 5 to deal with ... i might .. on two of them.. reduce the extra leader by half .. ensuring dominance of the other ...

and on one.. i would remove the extra leader at the bottom ... and i would plant this one on the end ... lol .. in case it fails ...

its called experimenting.. and then... you can be the resident expert here on GW .. lol ... and spend endless years.. pontificating on the true way .. lol.... i am mocking myself.. should that not be clear ...

planting guide at the link .... ask about what confuses you ... no fert.. and no amending.. pay attention if clay soil ...

and do understand... that when doing volume ..... you are most likely.. going to have problems with a few ... if you dont.. do a small happy dance.. you won ...

since they were mail order.. i presume they are pot bound.. its hard to grow a two foot tree in a shippable pot ... ask if you want info in regard to root surgery ... but you are going to have to figure out how to post a pic.. if you want good info ...

these should be rather bulletproof ... if the stock is decent ... the planting is proper.. and the watering after is perfect ....

good luck

ken

ps: i might put them in full shade for a couple weeks ... we dont want to plant them.. and then get a week of 90 plus ... if you do.. do NOT let the black pots be in any sun ... dont care about the green tree above ....

pps: pruned at the right time... you might be able to root cuttings ... new post for that ... if interested

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Wally_C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok so I told you wrong Ken after further examination its only one multi leader from the rootball up. Luckily before I planted them i did do the root surgery just incase. There're already in the ground and i followed the planting instructions I found on one of your earlier post to someone else.

My new question is will these be ok without the burlap or twine this winter or no? I will post a pic in a few

• Wally_C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic of multi leader and the rest

• Wally_C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic of all the Green Splendor

• Wally_C
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken Adrian