Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Conifer Kingdom fall plant sale

just got an email from them ...

plants starting at 9.99 and 14.99 ...

its like bluestone perennial sale ..... but conifers ... and JMs

so many decisions .... so little time... wait.. so little space.. wait.. so little budget.. lol ...

ken

Comments (31)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Woo hoo! And I'm visiting them next month - hope the sale's still going on!

Sara

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

Some damn fine plants there already, a sale is just an extra helping of melted chocolate on the ice-cream sunday.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

You think you've got problems Ken,they're only a 20 minute drive from me.Doug

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

I got my order in yesterday. Irresistible offerings.

Dave

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

I just ordered a few things. Too much temptation!

• illinois_john
    10 years ago

You guys have details? I can't find any special offers and didn't get any emails.

Thanks in advance,
    John

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

Damn you, Ken, you just cost me $100!

Just kidding, I really apreciate the tip.

Illinois-John,

They don't have offers listed. When you find the plant you want and click on it look below on the size and price. You'll see if it's discounted then. It threw me at first, too.

Barb

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

john... use google to find page.. sign up for emails... bottom left.. the NEWSLETTER ...

then to the right of that ... hit SHOP NOW .....

then find the sort function.. to list prices.. low to high ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• illinois_john
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help guys.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and if that doesnt work.. you will have to go buy some ovaltine.. to get the secret decoder ring .... lol

see link.. how it works ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

I just received my shipment and I'm blown away by the size and quality. I have a new favorite vendor, highly recommend!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Pics please... :0)

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

Here is the shipment I recieved this past Friday. Packaging was wonderful and the plants did not appear stressed although it was a very hot week last week.

left to right: Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn', Picea mariorika 'Machala' , Picea engelmanii 'Bush's Lace' (I cut off at least 6" in the pic), Pinus schwerinii 'Wiethorst' (x. schwerinii) and Picea glauca 'Pendula' . Sorry for the lousy pictures.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Hello, Windhaven!
    Thank you for your order. I am glad you were pleased with the plants we sent..
    It should be noted that the plant labeled as Picea x mariorika 'Machala' is actually a Picea alcoquiana 'Prostrata'. I have found that they are one and the same plant, and the latter name is correct.
    Enjoy your plants!

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It was me with Don Howse of Porterhowse Farms who compared the Picea x mariorika 'Machala' with the Picea alcoquiana 'Prostrata'.
    They're 100% the same plant.
    However, I checked there flushing time in spring and find out that it was not the right time for Picea alcoquiana, it was way to early.

I think this is a cross with Picea jezoensis with some other Picea species...will be continued.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Does anyone know when this sale ends? I'm half tempted to spend a couple hundred and get some of these this fall that I plan to buy next year. $23 now VS $36 later. Saving $13 a plant. Only downside is that I'll have to overwinter them... the beds aren't designed and aren't ready for fall planting. Decisions Decisions

windhaven - How tall is that 'Bush's Lace' in the one gallon? Looks like 2-3 feet. Is it badly root bound?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I'm going to be there on Thursday, can't wait!

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Did I hear a big fat Chief Joseph free w/1000.oo plus orders?The CJs I was perusing at Conifer Kingdom a few
    days ago were FAT and healthy.
    I don't have a thing to gain,but its hard to ignore the quality and variety these fellas bring to conifer lovers.Still they are
    nearly a secret in the local retail market.D.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

My guy here in the BAy Area (Pond and Garden) is now ordering from CK and Western Evergreen. WE's order should come in any day...we'll have to see how much of my budget I blow on the auctions this week at the Western Regional ACS meeting. That line up sounds off the charts!
    Sara

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

My 'Bush's Lace' is actually 48" tall and not pot bound when pulled out of the pot. Wonderful little trees, I couldn't be more pleased and I hope this helps.

Robyn

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Just placed my first order with Conifer Kingdom =)

Most are 1 gallons, a few BP's as well. Most of these are more common to the trade, but nothing wrong with that.

Picea engelmanii 'Blue Magoo'
    Picea glauca 'Spruce Lane'
    Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata'
    Pinus koraiensis 'Anna'
    Pinus strobus 'Stoneybrook'
    Picea pungens 'Glauca Prostrata'
    Abies concolor 'Blue Cloak'
    Picea pungens 'The Blues'
    Pinus strobus 'Louie'
    Pinus strobus 'Pendula'
    Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Van Den Akker'

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

First order from Conifer Kingdom, Very Impressed!!
    * Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' (35inches)
    * Picea abies 'Gold Drift' (15inches)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Picea abies 'Gold Drift'

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

You'll want to tease the roots out like most big plants in gallon pots but man are those beautiful/big plants.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Looks great SC, I hope to have mine from ConiferKingdom this week. I placed the order Tuesday, hopefully they will be able to ship them this week. Man those plants are huge compared to the gallon pot they are planted in. It makes me wonder what the root system looks like.

This is my first order with Conifer Kingdom... normally I order from other places and the plants are 12-15" and very root bound. But 35" is another story lol... thanks for posting pics though. I'll be sure to do the same when my stuff comes in from Conifer Kingdom & Western Evergreen. My other suppliers increased there prices this past spring... which is why I decided to take the plunge and find a couple new nurseries to give my business to.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. Rick, the 'Gold Drift' wasn't root bound at all. No surprise that the 'Bush's Lace' was. It had some pretty well developed roots that I had to slowly tease apart, as Will suggested. Conifer Kingdom did list the height at 30-36", which is huge for a 1gal, so I know it was likely that I would have to do a little root surgery. The plants were very healthy, well packaged, and as described. Overall, a great transaction and I will plan to buy more next spring. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the plants you ordered, that was an awesome list.

Shawn

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

They have an employee in charge of quality control that monitors which plants have to be up-potted and then they actually do it! They also cull substandard plants; when I was there last week there was a huge 'compost pile' of rejects. Many of which a lot of other nurseries would sell. They are a quality operation.

Sara

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

I'm on my way there next week. I look forward to seeing what's on the "too cool to sell" bench.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

You dog.

• PRO