Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morris Blue Korean Pine

Posted by rogerzone6 6A (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 12:37

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have seen one at a local nursery that is in a 3 gallon pot. It looks more green than blue, but it has been in a shaded location. and looks almost the color of my Vanderwolf. Does it blue up more in sun and does the color green up as the weather gets warmer? I really like the long needles however I will look for something else that is bluish if the color does not hold. I want to stay away from Spruce. Every other house here has one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morris Blue Korean Pine

blue on many plant.. is just a wax on the leaf surface... it can easily be washed off ..

the most common reason.. is overhead watering.. in the heat of summer ...

does the nursery water overhead???

it is genetic... it is not going to change due to plant CULTURE... as in more sun.. or more shade ...

Pinus koraiensis .. is sublime.. blue or not ... you should have at least one ... but it is a pine.. that has vast potential .... i hope you have room to site it properly .....

see link for conifer kingdom info and pic about such .... on another page they say:

Growth Rate: 6-9" ; HxW@10yrs: 8'x4'

which i read that it grows 6 to 9 inches per year.. for up to the next hundred years.... all size estimates are at 10 years.. double for 20 years ... triple... etc ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 7:52

o

I have one that's about 7 feet tall growing in afternoon shade and it is mostly green with only a tinge of blue. It was 4 feet tall when I bought it 4-5 years ago. I do like the somewhat compact narrow habit it has.

Pic from last year...

photo cpinkormorbl0613.jpg

The trunk next to it is a now officially dead Pinus nigra and this is it's replacement.

tj

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 21:09

All my Korean Pines have the same color as TJs, including Morris Blue.

My Pinus cembra seem to have a stronger blue tinge.

Either way a Korean Pine is a must for any landscape.

o

You want a Korean pine that's blue, 'Anna' is the one.

Dax

o

It's one of the prettiest species pines, as well. Not sure why they're not more popular. There's a big one in the tree collection at Hidden Lake Gardens that's gorgeous.

o

Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 8:41

Dax, do you have Anna? Mine is green...although mine is from Girards who is well known for selling incorrect cultivars.

o

whaas, you may be happy to learn that Girards will be selling incorrect cultivars no more. Seems they have repurposed their business.

Here is a link that might be useful: Girards Nursery webpage

o

Thanks all. It will be replacing a orange bark Stewartia that did not make it through this past winter. I have never done mail order. But maybe I will give it a shot, or drive 3 hours to Broken Arrow in Connecticut. I am in New Jersey.

o

Try Burke Country Farms in Freehold NJ. They have 100s of different conifers there with a few hard to find varieties.

o

whaas, I've been to the ortet tree many times. It's blue, and I mean really blue. Never green at any time of the year.

Dax

o

Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 9:07

Like so!

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna

o

Coach, I did a search for Burke Country Farms in Freehold. Nothing came up. Do you have a phone # for them? thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here