Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melhe_gw

Please ID - Picea Abies Gold Drift ???

melhe
10 years ago

I purchased 3 gold drift from one online nursery a couple of months ago. They appear to be dark green even under full sun location. I am not sure they are gold drift or not. I emailed customer service with above pictures. They confirmed with me that they are gold drift. But they still remains dark green. I don't see any gold tone on them. Please help me to ID those . If they are gold drift , please advise how or when they will have those beautiful gold tone. Many thanks!!!

Comments (14)

• melhe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the 2nd plant

• melhe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the 3rd plant

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

They look like Picea abies 'Reflexa' to me.
    Even in shade the 'Gold Drift' will show some limegreen needles...at least here at my nursery.

Was this year growth grown under sunny circumstances?

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 15:11

• melhe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The one still in the container is In partial shade . Another 2 are under full sun for 2 months since I recieved them . I am not sure in nursery how much sun they got

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

You've to ask the seller why they're so green and if they were growing in a shady location.

If I was that seller, I should have informed the buyer in advance by myself why they're green, instead of the opposite that you've to ask him.
    This is what they call " client service"...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i a lot of the P abies are spring flush yellow... though this one should hold some semblence of said color...

but pots do weird things... as do recent transplants...

first.. do you have any pix of the spring flush??? .. was thjat yellow at all????

what if any fertilizer did you plant them with... or add to the pot ...

ken

• melhe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coniferjoy : The email reply I received from customer service said gold drift only have light color flush in spring time. Rest of year remains dark green

I checked description online for gold drift, it should remain some light color part of the year, esp summer time under full sun. That's why I am not sure those r gold drift or not.

Ken_ Adrian : It was already early summer when I received those plants. I never saw the spring flush or any light green or yellow since I received them.
    I didn't use any special fertilizer on them so far.

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

Here is one in the Harper Collection last July. Not very dark green.

If their plants are dark green in the summer they do not have the right cultivar. If they grow it in shade, then the color will not show up very well but two months in full sun would bring it out.

Which nursery was it?

Bob

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

Here is one of the 3 original plants in 2006. Notice it is not dark green even though it is winter.

Bob

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey

i was just shopping for more facts...

i am with these guys ... it should show some semblance of the yellow... year around ...

whats weird.. is that it is not an understock issue ... since such would not be pendulous.. and the odds of you rec'g 3 such failures would be astronomical

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Mine is still pretty small but it is GOLD! More so on the newest growth but a distinct golden cast on all the needles. It is also growing in full sun. Mine is also not staked at all but allowed to sprawl unhindered so the light reaches all parts.

I am no expert like many of the rest of these guys but yours looks nothing like the 'Gold Drift's I am familiar with.

• melhe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The nursery is Klehm's Song Sparrow Farm. It is very reputable nursery with lots of good reviews on daves garden . That's why I want to get your professional opinions before I ask them again.
    Bob discovered "gold drift" , I am sure you r the most credible expert to talk about this type of picea. I'll contact them tomorrow again to see what they will say.

I really appreciate everyone's opinions and helps

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

They were sending out the wrong plant with Chief Joseph. It does happen.

They get alot of their conifers from Buchholz by the way.

I remember seeing a Gold Drift that ricksample posted from Song Sparrow that looked quite green last year. I wonder how his turned out?

I'd work it out with Song Sparrow to let them know its suspect but if it doesn't have a gold frosting to it next spring/summer, its the wrong plant and they should replace it.

I purchased one last year that was green but got its gold frosting within a couple weeks of planting it out. Mine flushed bright lime green. Then as it hardened off the gold highlights kicked in and remained all year.

This is a top 5 mainstream conifer with its flexibility in its growing habit and its rich gold highlights that do not appear chlorotic and do not burn in full zone in my area.

• Dima Konyk
    7 years ago

Picea abies 'Gold Drift'