zephyrgal_gw

today's yard 2

zephyrgal
11 years ago

Another one from different angle.

Comments (14)

• severnside
    11 years ago

That looks a lovely place to sit and enjoy. Beautiful balance of specimens and space, great!

• davidtree
    11 years ago

nice looking yard.

• Windhaven
    11 years ago

Very beautiful! How long ago did you start planting and planning your space?

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first tree to be planted was a Sciadopitys verticillata, my all time favorite tree, it is now about 7' tall. (I first got the tree in 1989, about a foot tall then) Next I planted the deodar, following with the cryptomeria black dragon and so on. It's still a work in progress, plantings started in '06 or '07. I simply plant when a new tree comes to me. No designs or plans, just pure fun. The Piceas in the next photo were recently planted. I also enjoy the weeping Katsura and long for an upright version.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Your yard looks really nice.

What cultivar of weeping Katsura tree is that? It looks very pendulous.

Alex

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex, sorry don't know the cultivar of the weeping Katsura, it was unmarked at the nursery, yet it is a lovely tree and gives me great pleasure.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

It could simply be Pendula. The Milwaukee Botanic Gardens has two stunning specimens at the entrance.

If you have an area that retains good moisture this tree, species or otherwise, is a must have.

Its the only deciduous tree I have two of. One female and one male. One is much more upright and the other is more broad. I forgot which is which.

The pictures are very enjoyable by the way. Keep them coming.

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks whaas, I do love the Katsura. For you, another photo. BTW, we are currently having our token hot summer at the coast, high 80's with higher temps tomorrow, then the marine layer should cool things down later in the week. No doubt, our cooler and wet weather does help our trees thrive. My heart and thoughts goes out to those in the "heat" lands. Having lived in Kansas I can relate. Wishing you all the best.

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Those rocks are too cool. Love the graceful cedrus.

• sluice
    11 years ago

Yea, liking the rocks. And the sequoia too!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yeah, you got it going girl.

Dax

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, Dax, coming from you, that's a wonderful compliment, and no doubt from all the rest of you that posted. I have derived great inspiration from viewing all your gardens and layouts. Thank you.

• ghgwv
    11 years ago

Very beautiful place. I also have a weeping Kastura tree which I love.

Gary

• Scott
    11 years ago

I get so sick of seeing all these BIG yards. I am so jealous. I have my little yard that I have to try to create what I can with the limited space and just dream of what I could spend on stuff if I had a yard like some of you. I have a pretty vast collection and only getting bigger but it will never look as nice as this because I am limited. Very nice even if I am jealous.