Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamaecyparis pisifera or Thuja? id

Posted by goodstav z9Brazil (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 11 at 13:01

Hi there,
These cuttings successfully rooted. Parent trees had a conical shape, 5m height, not very dense.
Is this Chamaecyparis pisifera, or some sort of Thuja? Pictures of both sides of the foliage.
From garden

From garden

I also rooted Cryptomeria japonica 'Elegans':

From garden

And my Cunninghamia lanceolata seedling has started to turn green already:

From garden

I feel much better reproducing them myself rather than buying.. it's the conifer bug plus the DIY mentality.

Gus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamaecyparis pisifera or Thuja? id

That's typical a Chamaecyparis pisifera.
Do you also have a pic of the motherplant for identifying it?

That Cryptomeria jap. 'Elegans' doesn't look like a rooted cutting to me, it looks like a seedling because of it's very thin underside.
Are you sure that you're showing us the right pic?

You're right that reproducing your own conifers is very satisfying, before you know it you're running your own nursery :0)

o
RE: Chamaecyparis pisifera or Thuja? id

Thanks for the id
I went to the garden where I collected the cuttings, here it is. It's the trees to the left in the background. In the foreground, there's a row of Platycladus orientalis

From garden

Yes, i'm pretty sure it's the right picture of the Cryptomeria. I took tip cuttings, not exactly softwood but almost. I also took ticker cuttings but the smaller ones rooted much better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here