Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has an Abies koreana Silberlocke?

Posted by ingeborgdot 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 13:02

I just made room for some new plants and am maybe interested in an Abies koreana Silberlocke. I was wondering what everyone was finding the growth rate to be and and special requirements they have found that it needs. I am either going to get one of these or get several smaller conifers to fill in the area.
I am replacing a Pinus flexis Venderwolf's Pyramid that grew over 2' a year. It was already 10' tall after only 4 years and I bought it as a 2' plant. It actually became leggy and not very attractive so I thought the time was right before it got too big to remove. Thanks for any help you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has an Abies koreana Silberlocke?

Ingeborg, it's 'Horstmann's Silberlocke' and 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid'...
This is my help for you ;0)

o

Oops on the spelling of Vanderwolf's Pyramid but I was just going by the name listed for the Horstmann's Silberlocke. I can only put down what is given to me. You need to write to these distributors and make sure they do it right. That way we don't keep getting scolded for making a mistake we did not know was a mistake. :)

o

'Silberlocke' is a more or less upright, narrow tree. It seems to grow annually only a couple of inches horizontally, while growing up to six or eight inches vertically.
Here is a picture for you
Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'

-Sam

o

i THINK its very borderline.. the further south you go .. night temps.. if i am not mistaken.. no recollection if i ever knew where you are ...

i have no problem in z5 MI .. i am not sure dave in z5 KC ... can say the same thing ... it MIGHT be a nightime temp issue ... or night humidity ...

its hard on my monkeys pic.. but zero in on the leader.. it should look just about what he said.. 8 inches ... but if you look at the trunk.. you can see the yearly whorls.. all in the ballpark ....

silver show is a look alike in my mind ...

historically it has been suggested that it was thought to have come true from seed .. so what is the original.. might be questionable ... [probably for anyone other than joy.. lol]

ken

ps: i would guess that monkeys tree is about 8 years old.. am i close????

o

Ingeborg - I have two of them and I cannot speak to zone hardiness or growth rate where you are, but I do want to highlight the loveliness of the cones. They are the most amazing lavender in spring, with green accents. For what it is worth, mine have been quite slow here in zone 9 and I am about to consign my 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid' to the wide open spaces near our barns, due to what I have read here about growth rate and eventual size. Keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke' cones

o

Ken, I would estimate that this tree is closer to ten or twelve years of age... unless it was much more slowly-growing in its earlier years.

The tree is around 6 or 7 feet tall right now.

Also, I need to add that well-draining soil is key for successful growth... as with many conifers.

-Sam

o

Damnit Sam, why don't you use the correctly written cultivar which I just mentioned as the first answer to this topic?
Also for you it's 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'!

o

Sorry I let ya down, Joy. I was just renaming it as the original poster had written it.. You can rest assured that it is correct in my databases.

-Sam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here