Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very narrow norway spruce

Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 13:23

I heard of very narrow tree in Lieksa, Finland. I notised that It appears beautiful shaped and surrounded by nice autumn colours in Google roadview camera. I must talk with my wife about rethinking our plans for next winterholiday. My garden needs this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google view of the narrow NS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very narrow norway spruce

Picea Abies "Cupressina" (Columnar Norway Spruce)? The Norways are very popular yard trees here in Minnesota; I must have a dozen of them left of the original planting decades ago. But I surely don't own and have never even seen a columnar.

o

Jarpe,that is a great tree for the smaller yard. Your country is very beautiful too! I wish you luck with scion collecting and grafting this! "My garden needs this" So does mine!
Rob

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 17:30

'Cupressina' produces a more orthodox, conical shape, with the base much broader than the top. And since this is an independent occurrence it wouldn't be apt or desirable to use an existing cultivar name for it, even if it looked similar.

o

• Posted by Jarpe z4-z5 Finland (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 3:03

yes. this is a weeping spruce with branches hanging downwards. Spruces this narrow are very rare and are usually reported to forestgenetic register of mothertrees held By METLA (Forest research institute). That is also the case with this one. Guy who told me about this tree also said that it had it´s given name written on bark. It is K2501

Similar narrow tree with even more solid pillar form locates at Sievi. It has been propagated By cultivar name `Sievi weeping´. Also visible from road. See link!

Here is a link that might be useful: view of NS `Sievi weeping´

o

I went up the road a bit further in your first picture and found a whole row of narrow trees on the left
See link.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Row of narrow trees

o

Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:41

wow!!! That is absolutely ingredible!!! Could they be grafted from that big mothertree, and be placed there to mark the spot?? Before logging tree have probably been less visible in a middle of forest.If so, then this is even better since the grafts look better than i would have thaught judging from that mothertree and they would also provide more vigor scions than old one.
There is however also a chance that they are grafts of totally different cultivar.

o

Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 13:29

Weeping Norway spruce might be the most commonly used decorative speciality conifer in Finland. `surukuusi´in finnish meaning sorrow spruce. There are some great cultivars like `Hoikka´ i think diameter is something like 2 feet. Check link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Some weeping Ns at Kokkola, Finland

o

I saw a tree like the ones pictured in New Jersey tonight on my way home to New York on route 9 in the Town of Old Bridge. It looked to be about 25-30 feet tall with a 2-3 feet spread. I will drive by next Saturday and snap a pic if I can't find it on googlemaps.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 13:33

The ~skinny weeper seen in a few older plantings here is 'Inversa'.

o

Speaking of 'inversa' Seen a pair yesterday. Wouldn't classify these guys as skinny weepers

o

Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 3:24

Is this inversa? wow, very impressive looking. Have these trees somehow been staked to grow upwards?

I have always been living in belief that inversa only grows horisonticaly. It would be great if that wasn´t the case.

o

Very nice, I Lieksa!

o

Yes it is listed as 'Inversa' at longwood gardens where it is growing. I imagine it may have been staked when planted. The massive trunk makes an abrupt 90 degree turn about 8 foot from the ground before growing upward again. they would need a pretty large stake today. Shows an accession date as pre-1955

Interesting on the tag its common name is listed as 'drooping' instead of 'weeping' --- the common used term now.( At least around my parts). Wonder when or how the that word changed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here