Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
As expected the worst July ever

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 13:32

Well at least since the late 19th Centry!

This doesn't even take the drought into consideration but eitheway it was hotter than the July at the peak of the 1936 Dust Bowl.

Hopefully this puts our complaining into perspective.

Here is a link that might be useful: July Hell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: As expected the worst July ever

Weather people have been posting predictions of heavy,flooding rain multiple times so far this summer here. Most don't amount to anything. Not officially in drought but it just doesn't seem to want to rain this year. Pop up thunderstorms which used to supply most of the summer rain along with squall lines, have not been delivering normal rainfall after a record dry winter and spring. Not great on the East Coast either! Ground is very DRY!

o

When trees start dying 5 and 10 years down the road and there's no reason that readily comes to mind... remember this year (and for me last year, as well). This weather will impact trees later in their lives.

Dax

o

Some of the wire services have noted a major difference between 2012 and 1936: Overnight lows have consistently stayed in the 80s or higher this summer (which apparently was not the case in 1936).

So 1936 was probably easier on conifer afficionados...assuming you had any money to buy stock.

o

Everyone here has been listening to me whine for months about the heat and weather here in Oklahoma. Well last night we had our first rain storm in my location in months. But it came in a little harsh....with 60-70 mph winds.

It snapped the primary 50' native hackberry tree on my property off right at the base. The tree hit the power lines so hard it snapped three of them off.

So I guess it's true......when it rains it really REALLY pours. lol

mark

o

It does sound biblical what some of you guys are going through.

o

After 5 years of drought, this summer has been much better. In just the last 4 days I have recorded 3.7". I would gladly share if I could - it is almost too wet here! Also, we have consistently been cooler than much of the country and no lows in the 80s - mid 70s, yes. And I'm in Florida!

o

Sheesh - After 4 months of drought, we're swimming around here! We just got another 1 1/2 inch of rain this morning, and it's still pouring - That makes 4 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks! I'm not complaining - It's going to have to do this every week for the rest of the year to replenish our moisture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here