Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need quick growing evergreen

Posted by gmp3 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 13:33

We purchased a home and would like to screen the neighbor's yards quickly. There are areas about 16 feet in the left and right sides of the yards that need trees. The back has established trees.

We would like an evergreen that grows quickly but is somewhat narrow. Our realtor suggested Spearmint junipers or Thuja trees. Any experience with these or suggestions for other species?

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need quick growing evergreen

Depends on the area, but Arborvitae (Thuja) and Junipers may be the choices. Check the biggest local nursery and see what they sell.

If in the shade mostly, neither will grow that fast or thick.

o

no opinion provided until you tell us where you are.. soil type.. and any other information that might help us ...

a picture would sure help ...

i like Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire' for thin ... and fast height.. it will do 12 to 16 inches per year .. once established.. and PROPERLY planted ... IF IT WILL PROSPER WHERE YOU ARE ...

it is preferable to go smaller.. and remove all multiple leaders, but one.. if snow load is an issue ... a single leader plant is snow proof

a pic of one of mine below

ken
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

We are in Colorado near Denver. The areas are sunny. I will try to get a picture up, soon.

Pretty Thuja.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here