Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Lucky visit...

coniferjoy
11 years ago

A couple of days ago I visited a friend nurseryman in my neighbourhood.

He grows Christmas trees mostly but also some firs on a stem.

When walking around his nursery my eye catched a partly butter yellow variegated Korean fir which was (lucky me) for sale.

Of coarse I took it with me and after repotting it felt at home at my nursery immediatly.

I compared it with the well knows Abies koreana 'Gelbbunt' and the differences are it's colour and shape of needles.

Comming winter it will be grafted and in a couple of years it will be availlable on the (Dutch) market...

Abies koreana 'Filip's Gold Patches'

Comments (18)

• severnside
    11 years ago

Cool clogs.

Nice find, how old is that? He must have had it for ~10 yrs.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

An admirable selection in deed. I wonder how many people walked by the plant thinking somethig was wrong with it,lol.

I can't help but to stare at that selection of plants behind you though!

I wish someone would start up a nursery (or existing) in the US that focused on European introductions. Perhaps there is someone out there already buidling up their stock plants or even inventory. One can wish right!?!

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

Are those clogs made of wood?!

Very nice find. Did he say how it originated? That needs to be available on the U.S. market as well!

• Cher
    11 years ago

That is right up my alley. Love it! You really lucked out on that one.
    Cher

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

very pretty tree.

Did your friend shear it into that shape or is it natural? If it's sheared it will probably become a normal looking fir on its own.

~Dave

• severnside
    11 years ago

Why is the variegation only on the upper regions? Does this mean light plays a part?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That has to be a sheared & variegated seedling. There's no way that Christmas grower is selling grafted conifers, yet alone dwarf conifers.

Edwin will graft the colored shoots...

Congratulations on your find.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I was just going to ask that...if you'd graft the shoots that are completely yellow or variegated.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Some people have ALL the luck !

• sluice
    11 years ago

That's a great find. Congrats!

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your nice comments.

Dax is right, it was found as a variegated seedling which was limped up and sheared.
    It's original shape was a "normal" tree form.
    The age of this specimen will be about 10 years old, indeed.

Will, most people will think that this plant is sick or didn't got enough fertilizer.
    Especialy because it was standing between 50 other green specimens.

Severn, All variegated plants show there variegation at the upper part were a lot of light is availlable.
    If variegated plants are to long in much shade, they will revert back to green some day.

Only the variegated scions will be used for propagation.
    Never use the green parts, because then the chance is very high that the new plant will remain green.

Al, you deserve the luck if you gonna search for new conifers.
    The Dutch saying "A flying crow always find something" counts also in this case.
    Sitting at home will not bring you new plants, or you've to buy some by internet :0)

Severn & Matt:
    Yup, in summer time I'm always wearing clogs.
    These are Swedish clogs from which the underpart is made of wood, the upperpart is made of leather.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Cool find Edwin. Interesting that it was limbed up and sheared. From the picture I'd have geussed it was grafted high. Can you tell anything about what it's normal growth rate will be like, or not yet because it's been sheared? For this type of variegation, do the yellow shoots grow slower than the green ones?

If you graft a yellow shoot, would you expect the resulting plant to be all yellow, or a patchwork of yellow and green like the mother plant?

Your nursery looks amazing by the way, like a glimpse of heaven on earth. Do you sell any deciduous material at your nursery or is your focus exclusively on conifers? What are your customers like - do they have any appreciation for what they're buying?

I also think your clogs are pretty nifty.

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

I learned five things in this thread.

Edwin's nursery is a must-visit when you're in the Netherlands.

Edwin is a perfectionist. That nursery is neat enough for Royalty.

Wooden clogs must be comfortable!

Europe has a great many cultivars that I'd love to grow someday.

Flying crows always find something.

-Will

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Will, I couldnt agree more, Id love to be able to shop a nursery like Edwins. I could pass up on the clogs...but not those choice conifers! lol
    AL

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alex, it's hard to say at this moment what it's growing rate will be.
    I guess that it will grow into a "normal" tree form, a bit slower because of it's variegation.
    In the future I'll find out of it's shape is dense or loose.
    I'll let you all know later on how it will develop.

The yellow parts will grow slower then the green parts.
    This is because they have less or non chlorophyl in their needles.

I'll try to graft some golden scions but most of the time they will not grow because of a lack of chlorophyl.
    It's better to graft variegated branches so you're sure that they will grow because of the chlorophyl and that the variegation will remain.

Thanks for your compliment about my nursery.
    I only grow conifers, including the deciduous like Ginkgo, Larix, Metasequoia and Taxodium.

I only sell wholesale to garden centres, landscapers but export mostly to Northern, Central and Eastern Europe.
    Collectors and hobby bonsai creating people are also welcome but only after they made an appointment.
    Most of the time they appreciate what they are buying because it's hard to find those at another place :0)

Will & Al, I'm glad that you learned something because of this thread.
    You guys are very welcome here if you're in The Netherlands some day :0)
    Like told before, in the beginning of next month there will be an ACS Belgium and The Netherlands trip comming up.
    I'm curious if some of our Forum members will participate to this tour :0)

'Filip's Gold Patches' is a golden variegated, my other one which I found a couple of years ago is a white variegated cultivar.
    Abies koreana 'Filip's Snowpearls'
    {{gwi:607880}}

• severnside
    11 years ago

I was wondering why you don't make Dutch language names for your findings Edwin. It seems that other countries are well represented in their language with plant names which I find adds an element.

What would golden patches read in Dutch? Would it be two words or would they be joined like a lot of names to make one. I know this isn't always the case but I'm interested to see what Dutch names would sound like. Would that not also help with preserving identity and source?

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Severn, in fact you're right, but I do have an international export nursery and two languages are major here which are English and German.
    Also I do take part to trading shows were both languages are spoken either.
    Because English is the world language nr. one I also will give my find an English cultivar name which discribes the growing habit or other special characteristics.
    That's why...

'Golden Patches' in Dutch is 'Gouden Vlekjes' but this doen't sound good to me, it doen't say anything to other foreign people...

To find the identity and source of my findings, people only have to search by Google and they will go straight to my website.
    On the other hand the name "Filip" is familiar by a lot of people, in this way they also know that these are my plants :0)

I hope that I did answer your quiestion in a right way.
    Thanks for asking, I'm glad to see this topic again :0)

• severnside
    11 years ago

Yes I see the advantage in using English in a world market. Also Filip is a much less common spelling of Philip so that will hallmark the plants well. The Dutch words may not sound good to you but they do have a nice sound to non Dutch speakers, however there would though be an unending spelling correction problem with them compared to the English.