Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ready to graduate now or in spring?

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 13:52

I have a 1 gallon Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo' that I planted late April in a holding bed. Most these little guys will get moved over the next 1-3 years.

I have a spot for this plant now. Should I move it now (or even late Sept) since its fresh in the ground or wait until next Spring?

I know I can go eitherway just figured I ask in case folks think one route may get it off to a faster start.

Thanks!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ready to graduate now or in spring?

i would move it when the leaves of the deciduous trees start turning color..

which i take to mean.. all trees.. of which conifers are.. are dormant above ...

why move it when the needles are theoretically still active... you are just going to stress them ... which would show up as winter burn..

it will continue to re-establish its roots up to ground freeze ... and and then will have all early next spring to work on those roots.. until the buds start extending..

or do it in april as soon as the ground is thawed ... again.. while it is completely dormant ...

this is for z5 and colder ... as we have an either or transplant season.. though i tend to like fall.. since it gives us two cool root-growing seasons before the onslaught of next summers heat ...

someone recently suggested to me.. that perhaps fall is not the best time to move them on yellow tissue plants.. as winter dessication will burn that foliage .. if stressed by the fall move ... lol .. i suggested it dont matter as they all seem to burn for a few years until fully established ...

all that said.. BB or potted.. and how much root surgery are you going to do????

ken

o
RE: Ready to graduate now or in spring?

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 15:15

Not much I already laid into it this spring. Should, for the most part, be a simple transplant.

I'm thinking fall might be better as well for the reason you mentioned that way it might take off next spring vs. limp along in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here