Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwest_dave

cultivar ID?

midwest_dave
10 years ago

Bald Cypress, maybe 'Peve Yellow'? The iron fence in the background is 4 feet tall, caliper above the root flare was in the 10-12" range.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

I think , it exists only one yellow cultivar from this species. So it must be Peve Yellow, found by Piet Vergeldt.

Wolfgang

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Yep, 'Pevé Yellow' it is, a Dutch seedling selection.

Please, may I use your first pic for my personal database?
    Thanks in advance!

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

Can you find a history on it? It appears fairly large for such a new and rare cultivar in this country.

Bob

• gary2010
    10 years ago

Dave
    Are you sure that is BC your bottom pic. shows opposite
    leafs like dawn redwood. The shape does look like Peve yellow.
    Gary

• midwest_dave
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for the comments. I like this tree a lot and have been walking by it for a number of years, one day it popped out to me and now I always make a point to visit it when I'm walking in the area.

Wolfgang: I only know of the one yellow BC cultivar also but this park has lots of big BC and there are a couple gold/yellow ones. This is the yellowest, almost white, it sits in full sun. I'll post a pic of a second tree, more golden, below.

Edwin - Yes, feel free to use any pictures posted here. Do you have any idea when 'Pevé Yellow' was first available in the US? I don't see a graft union on this one but maybe 'Pevé Yellow' has bark identical to the species and the union will dissapear in time? I didn't think it was easy to root BC, which is why most are grafted?

Bob, I contacted somone about this tree and others in the park. I may have to exchange a couple emails before finding the right person. I will definately report back what I find out. I couldn't judge the growth rate at the top but side branches are growing 6-8" with some putting on 10". I don't know if this is typical for 'Pevé Yellow'?

Gary - I visited this tree again this morning and snapped a picture of some cones, hopefully that helps. The needles/leaves were alternate and the cones seemed slightly smaller and more lime-green / yellowish compared to nearby BC. Maybe the difference in cone size and color is typical for 'Pevé Yellow' or yellow cultivars in general?

Thanks again for looking, here's a picture of some cones:

And another, larger, gold BC in the park:

• cryptomeria
    10 years ago

Beautiful trees!

For me no doubt, both are Taxodium. But I'm also very interested to hear the story behind these older specimen.When did Piet Vergeldt select this cultivar and when and from whom were they planted in this park?

Wolfgang

• gary2010
    10 years ago

The cones are proof BC
    Gary

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

I got some info from Piet Vergeldt, he selected the 'Pevé Yellow'.
    He told me that this one was found in the same seedbed as the 'Pevé Minaret', this was in 1990, now 23 years ago.
    He didn't gave any info about scions shipped to the U.S.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

That looks like a chlorotic BC to me.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful 'Peve Yellow' DW.

Dax