Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Gingko Growth Rates?

Posted by echolane SFBayMidPen (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 14:26

I am quite taken with dwarf Gingkos and bought two last year, Chase Manhattan and Munchkin. I had expected Chase to grow about 1" a year and Munchkin about 1/2".. But Chase Manhattan has grown 14"' this spring and Munchkin 4". It's like they are both on steroids. I want to keep them small but I'm very hesitant to prune. Dare I?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Gingko Growth Rates?

I think the growth rates you show are really leaf sizes. I can't speak for 'Manhattan', but I have 'Chris's Dwarf' aka 'Munchkin' and 4-6" is the usual growth rate-sometimes more. Leaves are about 1/2".

As for pruning, you can but I'd let them get established for 2-3 years first.

tj

o

Interesting, I've questioned rates as well on my "mariken." It's putting on 6"-9" this year and was closer to 12" on the dominant branch last year.

Am I sure it's " mariken?" It came from Iseli 4-5 years ago and looks like every picture I've seen of this cultivar.

I'll be moving or starting to prune it next year. It must be very happy where it is since it grows nearly as fast as my "autumn gold."

o

I got my 'Mariken' in 2010 in a one gallon and it only grows 3-4" per year for me.

A pic from last year.

photo cginkmar0613.jpg

tj

o

Some pictures of my "Mariken."

I think I mistook the previous years green growth as new growth and the new leaves are showing 4-6".

In any case, it's growing faster than I expected. Gets sun until 1 pm, then is completely shaded by the house. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's too crowded.

o

Closer

o

Perhaps you are right, that the growth rates I anticipated were more relevant to leaf size. In that case, I will certainly have to learn to prune them because I want them to stay small. I really want miniature but that will no doubt be too much to achieve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here