Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
menno_gw

grafting in august

menno
15 years ago

Hi all,

Most people on this forum do their grafts in wintertime. So did I, with Picea pungens koster. In 2007 (my first year) my succes percentage was only 8%, in 2008 almost 20%, so I'm making progress... :)

However, I know that some professionals are grafting around this time of year (for example in Boskoop, The Netherlands) with a bit better results with summer grafting than winter grafting.

There are some adventages in the case of summer grafting:

sap-stream is slowing down and not explosive as in april and no heating costs. A negative is the heat and drying out, but also the risk of fungi when placed in a moist environment.

Today I grafted 48 Picea pungens koster on Picea abies. I placed them in the shade (of course with enough indirect light) and under plastic folio.

One problem I have now is: it's almost certain that fungi will develop. Do I have to use a fungicide and how often? Also how many times a day do I have to let fresh air in?

For winter grafting I have an idea of all this, but summer grafting is different. And in the literature/internet I cant't find info on this topic. But perhaps someone can help me?

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I don't know anything yet about summer grafting. I have figured out that grafting the third week of February to the first week of March significantly cuts energy costs. Don't even think of grafting (in a greenhouse) any earlier if you can avoid it.

I have heard that grafting conifers in summer can be done but I never did again ask the guy I know who does it because at that time he was trying to keep my life simple. Even his success rates drop and he's a 90+% grafter during winter, able to graft something like 5000 grafts and cuttings. He can graft a scion the size of a toothpick, successfully.

Good luck. I use 'Consan 20' every two weeks. It's a combo algaecide/fungicide. I think I would try almost full shade in your case. You need to balance the temp (don't be worried about 80F just be worried when it goes past that)...balancing temp with humidity over 90%. Should be just like winter grafting.

Dax

• menno
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!
    In the course of the week 90+ F are expected in my region and then I will place them in my basement (60F) during the hottest part of the day.
    I'm hoping for a better result than last winter/spring, because last spring a lot bud's broke out but starved after a few weeks. I think this was because of the strong sap-stream, something I'm avoiding this time.
    I will keep everyone informed, although the results will only be there next spring.....

• treelover3
    15 years ago

Can Picea pungens be grafted onto Picea abies? I would think that pungens would need to be grafted onto pungens seedling understock, correct?
    Thanks,
    Mike

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Hi Mike,

All the Picea's graft successfully onto each other. The same applies for Abies.

Dax

• Mike Larkin
    15 years ago

Please keep us posted on your results.
    If you moved to basement - would there be need for additional lighting?
    I am waiting for cutting of a Broom, that is too high for me to reach, and must rely on an arborist to come on the property and reach with a truck and lift.
    When it is cut I will try to graft - ( pinus strobus) so your summer time grafting process will be helpful.

Are you waxing the rubber bands, or do you use the flexible clear grafting tape? Dax discussed in previous posts - so I tried and was fairly sucessful.

Mike

• menno
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your respons, Mike.
    I'm not waxing, I just use raffia-tape. After three months after the grafing I'm planning to remove it.
    Till now, the grafts are doing fine: all the scions still have the same blue color. During the heat wave I didn't place them in my basement (this was the intention, yes), but just moved them into my house for a couple of days. There was enough light in that place and temperatures stayed around 25C (75F) there, and that's not harmfull, I've read from Dax.

Now the grafts are in a place with shade (almost) all day long. It's just a period between 10 and 11 AM when the sun shines on that place. During that sunny hour I cover them with a sheet, so they don't get the direct sunlight and this method also prevents heating them up.
    The first two weeks I didn't ventilate them at all (ofcourse I used a fungicide), in the third week I ventilated half of the days for about half an hour and misted them afterwards. Now, in the fourth week I ventilate each day. Next week I will ventilate every day too, but a bit longer.

After about eight weeks I hope that the unions will be healed. It's mid-october by then, and from then I will place them in a cold greenhouse. It's Picea pungens, so they need freezing temperatures in winter, but I will not place them in harmfull sunshine/cold wind comditions. A long period of frosts is good for them. I think it will harm them when I place the grafts in an above-freezing environment all winter long.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio