Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Question about graft on your conifer

Karolina11
10 years ago

Hello everyone!
I received my first order from Conifer Kingdom. Wonderful selection and everything came in looking great. As expected, the conifers came grafted and since I got the smallest size they offer, the rootstock is still clearly visible and they come with a tag that states to leave the top of the rootstock for a year or two and then take it off. Here is where I got confused. The root stock on my Abies concolor 'Blue Cloak' still had needles and active looking buds while the remaining rootstocks appeared with no growth on them. I have never planted conifers below and I am thinking of rose rootstock and how it sometimes overpowers the budded stock. Do I do anything different with this rootstock with needles or am I overthinking it and I should jus leave it alone?

I can get a photo if my explanation isn't clear. Thank you kindly for your help!

Edit->Title should read 'question about graft on conifer'. Not sure what I stopped to type and hence came in with the 'your' oops

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 14:34

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

forget about planting the grafts ... these are NOT ROSES ...

there are roots... they belong in the ground..

there is a trunk.. that belongs in the air ...

between those two.. is a root flare ... and that is what is planted .. AT GROUND LEVEL ...

a very long time ago..... 20 or 30 years ago ....someone messed with planting them like roses.. and claimed some success with such.. and then we never heard another word about it .... so presumably.. it did not catch on ....

and we are talking about grafted plants ...

now.. we want pix.. and a list of what you got....

how about some enabling here ....

welcome

ken

ps: and in case there is any other confusions.. read.. and commit to memory.. EVERYTHING at the link .... and do it PRECISELY ... no amending.. no fert.. mulch.. water.. clay rules .... etc ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardener365
    10 years ago

That's all completely normal. Those grafts on a rootstock without much foliage and/or buds (that "stick") still stay alive for a few years even if there are no buds, believe it or not, and does continue to feed the scion. The scion being the new cultivar being grafted to the host roots or "rootstock." Other rootstocks aka "understocks" with more buds and/or foliage were pruned in that manner to give the scion (more energy) from its new host. Conifer Kingdom and grafters make decisions about how much of the rootstock to leave on at any given time. Sometimes if the scion was beefy, we cut off the understock mid-summer or fall the same year it was grafted; sometimes right after the new-growth from the scion is finished "snip" right there in the greenhouse.

Plant them like Ken stated. The root flare is very visible. It's obvious you have some experience in gardening, now you've just learned a little more regarding conifers. Everything has its own rhythm. Grafted conifers are differently cared for than grafted deciduous from start to finish & roses, well I don't know anything about them, but I bet I could figure them out in about 90 seconds with your help ;-)

Best of luck, welcome.

Dax

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken and Dax,
    Thank you kindly for your explanations. I know I was using some of the incorrect terminology (rootstock vs understock) so that will take some learning but I will get there.

Ken, oh I was definitely not thinking about planting the graft underground! Although I completely believe you that someone has done it! I was just trying to figure out how much top growth the understock should have on a young grafted plant. Thank you for your link as well, definitely a good read. What are your thoughts about planting slightly above grade or does it have to be exactly at grade as long as the root flare is showing?

Dax, thank you for your explanation. That makes a lot of sense to me. I will plant and then discard the understock in a few years as instructed by Conifer Kingdon.

This property I purchased this summer came with quite a few different conifers. In my 0.25 acres, urban yard, I have never had a want or need for them before, but since getting to this three acres I have been perusing and learning and finally got a few.

From Conifer Kingdom I received :
    Picea glauca 'Pendula'
    Abies concolor 'Blue Cloak'
    Abies concolor 'Wintergold'
    Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
    Pinus schwerinii 'Wiethorst' (x. schwerinii)
    (plus three maples)

Should I expect to have to stake the weeping white spruce?

I also have an order I am awaiting from evergreen nursery that contains:
    Arborvitae - Glauca Prostrata
    Arborvitae - Golden Globe
    Arborvitae - Hetzi Midget
    Arborvitae - Rheingold Globe
    Chamaecyparis - Blue Fuzzy Dwarf
    Chamaecyparis - Curly Top
    Chamaecyparis - Heatherbun
    Chamaecyparis - Mikko
    Chamaecyparis - Squarrosa Sulphurea
    Cypress - Green Thread Filifera
    Pine - Dwarf Mugo
    Juniper - Saybrook Gold

I will get some photos soon as I definitely have some questions about the conifers on the property and will need to take some photos for that. Some appear to have been planted in too small of a space (of course...)

Thank you again!