Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abies lasiocarpa with a skirt.

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 14:36

Quite common in the windy, exposed, sub-alpine regions where it grows. The skirt is protected under the snow during the winter. Click on the picture to see more.
Sub-Alpine Fir,  Abies lasiocarpa

My wife and I took a trip to the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington State last weekend. It was a quick trip to see my wife's relatives and our former classmates, so I was lucky to get up in the park.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abies lasiocarpa with a skirt.

phildert huh??? .. lol..

pic 12.. elk??.. high mountain moose ... oh.. next pic. bambi ...

pic 20 ID???? also called 41???? rigida or a real old green arrow???

story on the BIG!!! tree??? #37 aka 65 .. redwood???? WAG'ing here ....

well .... it surely doesnt remind me of SE MI .. lol.. where the average elevation change is three feet over 30 miles ... lol .. you guys and your trips to the mountains ... make me jealous ... and then i wonder if i would ever get int eh car if i were there ....

thanks for the effort to post them..

ken

o

That's great to see.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 23:04

Pretty impressive! Enjoyed the summer 2012 pics too!

o

Sounds like a nice trip. Always great to see conifers in the mountains!

o

Mike, you are a landscape AND photo artist.

o

"Click on the picture to see more" - doesn't work for me, they can only be seen by password

Is that some cones on the skirt foliage? If yes, that's very unusual. Or is it dead stems killed by sticking above the snow?

Resin

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 5:29

Resin, that's Epilobium augustifolium, aka Fireweed. It looks nice in the mountains, but is a pesky weed in my garden. Clicking on the link below should work Resin.
I finally got around to labeling the rest of the pictures I took on the trip. Ken, that big tree is a Pseudotsuga menziesii, aka Douglas Fir. It's located near Lake Quinalt, a favorite hiking area for me. Yup, phildert. I was going to use Pete Moss, but it was already taken.
Yes, Ken, I think that is a 'Green Arrow'. I saw that in the town of Sequim, the driest place on the coast north of Los Angeles. It's in a 'rain shadow' on the leeward side of the Olympic Mountains. Pilots call it 'The Blue Hole'. I used to do a lot of hiking up in the mountains there when I was trapped in a small house with a small yard in Seattle. Now that I'm out in the country on ten acres, the need to hike in the mountains isn't as strong. I've been here since 1978.
phildert

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

o

Darlowek, Poland, Baltic Sea.

Pinus nigra with a skirt

Pinus silvestris

Eryngium maritimum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here