Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification of dark green conifers

Posted by ynneleac UT (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 14:57

I purchased three trees from a local nursery, but the labels on the plants identified them as Austrian Black Pine, pinus nigra. Except one of them which in addition had a second tag labeling it as black pine Oregon green.

I'm not too experienced with conifers, but my landscaper and one other person, said that they don't look like any Austrian Black Pines that they have ever seen. I'd like any feedback you can provide.

Thanks in advance,

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification of dark green conifers

2nd pic of tree 1 (with dual labels)

o

2nd Tree pic 1

o

2nd tree pic 2

o

3rd tree pic 1

o

3rd tree pic 2

o

That looks right to me-Pinus nigra. Hoo-boy, it looks dry there! Maybe they'll do better there. Around here, a couple of fungal blights are decimating this pine.

+oM

o

'Oregon Green' is just a specific cultivar of Pinus nigra; otherwise looks pretty nigra-ish to me :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green'

o

Ynneleac
Your first picture is pinus nigra cultivar oregon green
The other 2 are just seedling pinus nigra
Gary

o

The needles are much shorter than typical for Pinus nigra, though the cones are clearly that. So I'd suspect all the plants are 'Oregon Green', if the distinctive character of that cultivar is short needles.

Resin

o

here is my oregon green .. very typical nigra needle pattern .. i dont know about length ... distinct deep green color ...

but it is hard to compare to your pruned babe ... as compared to its natural form ....

probably from a one gallon.. two year old plant.. 8 or so years ago ....

ken

20120718_2916

20120718_2917

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here