Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bald Cypress

Posted by jimgioia1 SE Lower Mich. (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 15:00

First of all, I would like to apologize if I am not posting in the correct forum for my question. Well, here it goes.

I would like to try growing a bald cypress in my yard. It's not dry soil but not reallly moist either. And, there is clay after a few inches. 1) Can I grow this tree here? 2) If I were to plant at 15-24" seedling, how much would it grow in the first year. And, 3) Are there any reputable online nurseries that might be recommended.

Thank you in advance, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bald Cypress

We have several bald cypress trees on our property. They do like water. Our trees are about 40 feet tall and we planted them about 2007. I still water every other day with the heat getting above 90.
I don't know how they would do since you all get snow?

o

i am in the real SE MI ... adrian.. as compared to those detroit burb hosers who claim to be inches from OH ... lol ...

totally and completely bulletproof.. once established...

i bought mine.. 14 years ago .. a 6 foot stick in a one gallon pot from big lot ... and it never looked back ..

pure sand.. no water after 2 years ...

clay is irrelevant to all conifers all but for how you plant it ...

ken

o

I have two in my yard that are now 10 years old and getting some real size on them. I can't say that I've ever watered them much, past the first year of getting them established. Like Ken says, pretty bulletproof once established. I happened to find mine at Walmart that fall, 10 years ago. Do you have any nurseries close by you that could order for you?

o

We purchased our bald cypress from either a Home Depot or a Lowe's home improvement store.

o

You may also want to check out metasequoia (dawn redwood). They're very interesting trees and in many ways resemble bald cypress, but they don't love water quite as much. Also, in good conditions they will outgrow bald cypress, up to six feet per year once established.

S

o

Ken, up there in the north do your Bald cypress outgrow the metasequoias? Here is seems growth is similar slightly favoring the metasequoias.

Either way they are great trees. If you have the room try them both.

One neat thing about planting them. If you are even near reasonable it should be near impossible to over water them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here