Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avok

Italian Cypress trees

avok
15 years ago

Hi there

This is my first massage, and I am apologize, if I am not posting it in right forum.

I live in Palmdale California, and I just got this house from foreclosure market. There are 12 Italian Cypress trees about 15-20 feet high in my back yard. There are probably not been watered for long time, some of them still have green branches, some of them are just brownish. I am watering them 3 times a week for two weeks, but I do not see any progress.

Please tell if there is a hope to bring them back to life, or any suggestion I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Avok

Comments (18)

• pineresin
    15 years ago

You're in the right forum!

The brown ones are dead, no point in trying to 'revive' them. Mediterranean Cypress ("Italian" is a misnomer) is very drought tolerant, they shouldn't need watering. The dead ones may have died for some other reason, perhaps Seiridium canker, to which it is fairly susceptible.

Resin

• ospreynn
    15 years ago

Resin,

There is/was a row of about 100 italian cypress that started to die from one end (at my hometown). It's been more than 7 years since that started, moving to the other end, and by now almost all have died. It starts browning at the top, and working its way down. Is that normal? does it take that long to move from one tree to the other?
    Any possible solution to the problem, can it be controlled?

• avok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for fast response.
    The tips of branches are dried, but when I am cutting close to trunk it is not dried. Some how , I have feeling, that they are not seek.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Hi Osprey,

"It's been more than 7 years since that started, moving to the other end, and by now almost all have died. It starts browning at the top, and working its way down. Is that normal? does it take that long to move from one tree to the other?"

Sorry, not sure what the normal rate of spread is with Seiridium or other possible diseases.

"Any possible solution to the problem, can it be controlled?"

Not that I'm aware of other than by good hygeine and fast removal of diseased trees. "Currently there are no chemical control measures recommended for the disease" - from link below.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Disease of Leyland Cypress

• avok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Resin
    If my trees infected by Seiridium canker and I have to remove them, can I use the same place to replant with new trees?
    Thanks
    Avok

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Yes, though best if it is a different species (i.e., not cypresses again, or if cypresses, a Seiridium-resistant one like Arizona Cypress).

Resin

• botann
    15 years ago

Keep up the watering Avok. It will take some time to see some recovery. I have been to Palmdale. It's a dry place with Joshua Trees. Your house probably has been vacant for some time because of the forclosure proceedings and the trees haven't seen any water. Most should still be alive if they have any green on them at all.
    I doubt Seridium is at fault. Ask the local nursery if it's a problem in your area.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"I doubt Seiridium is at fault. Ask the local nursery if it's a problem in your area"

It is a major problem in the area - work on the disease (then called Coryneum canker) was first started at the nearby Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden 60 years ago when local cypress plantings started dying in large numbers. See W E Wagener (1948), Diseases of Cypresses, El Aliso 1: 253-321.

Resin

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I took the point to be that Palmdale is not on the coast but rather what Sunset Publishing calls Zone 11 - Medium to high desert of California and southern Nevada.

• avok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Botann
    Thanks for giving me a little hope.
    I am going to take some pictures this weekend, and I hope that will help.
    Is there a way to post pictures on this forum?
    Thanks everyone for help

Avok

• karinl
    15 years ago

Open an account on a webhosting site if you do not already have one, and then copy the photo URL info into the body of the message here; photo should show up when you preview your message. Otherwise you can also link to your webhost site album, but I don't know how to open the album to public access, sorry :-) Perhaps there would be instructions on the site that you choose.

Names of sites include flickr and Photobucket, but there are others, perhaps better.

KarinL

• avok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you KarinL, I will try that.

• avok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took the pictures, but I couldnÂt post them, I have them on my camera and on my computer.
    My neighbor just told me, that agent from realty office was spraying the branches of the trees with water during the sunny hot days.
    Could that damage the threes, and what can I do to save them?

• pineresin
    15 years ago

"My neighbor just told me, that agent from realty office was spraying the branches of the trees with water during the sunny hot days.
    Could that damage the threes, and what can I do to save them? "

That wouldn't harm them, and also makes drought damage an even less plausible option.

Resin

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

What might happen from a particular procedure (including spraying with water) depends on what, exactly is wrong with your trees. Your nearest California Cooperative Extension office may be able to help figure out what is going on.

• karinl
    15 years ago

If you set up an album in Photobucket, and upload your photos into it, you just have to click on the word "HTML" as it appears under the photo in your Photobucket album, where it says HTML Code, if I recall correctly. The way it works for me (using a Mac, and Safari as the browser) is that a little flag comes up that says "copied" when I click on HTML, and then I can paste that into the body of the message here at Gardenweb. However, if I simply attempt to select/copy/paste the same text, it doesn't work; nothing pastes in. even clicking on the word "code" in "HTML code" does not work. I have to click on "HTML." The text you paste in will look something like a>ref.... and extend some three lines or so.

The photo should show up when you preview your posting.

KarinL

• avok
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The trees

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Your hedge is a loss, unfortunately. These will not come back.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz