Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmayes_gw

Deodar Cedar under stress

mmayes
11 years ago

I noticed that the cedar in our front yard is not too happy. It has lots of brown needles at the base of the needle clusters.

Is anyone else in the LA area aware of a problem with the cedars? We have been having a heat wave over the past month and I would normally think that is the problem, but there is an identical cedar one house down and it appears to be fine.

Thanks for any input. I have included some pictures.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

but for a few brown needles.. i see anything wrong????

after our MI heatwave of 2 weeks over 100.. i have whole brown trees..

nor have you given many facts to guess on ... especially anything upon which to compare a tree down the street ...

recent transplant?? .. pic of whole.. how you water.. do you water... how big.. etc ...

no matter where we all are in the northern hemisphere.. it will be sept in a few days.. things are tired.. and it will be a slow decline to winter..

no conifer holds its needles forever.. interior shedding is normal.. and increased by transplant or weather stress ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Looks like cedar needle blight -Sirococcus conigenus, a fungus. We get it sporadically here in No Ca when the conditions are right (or wrong!) and that has to do with moisture/humidity when the tree was leafing out. It is never bad enough here to cause much damage and the trees generally grow out of it reasonably quickly. Nice tree!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Yes, I thinks it's some kind of infestation also.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

well those 2 should know.. they know the area and the plant better than me.... fer sure ...

i will defer ... good luck ...

ken

• gpaciotti
    11 years ago

Hello, Just joined the post and this is the closest discussion I found on the topic of my concern (still not sure how to start a discussion). Anyway just had 2 beautiful Kashmir Deodar Cedar trees planted (10-12 ft) and one of the trees has its branches bent (not broken) sideways (not down) and was wondering if the branches will return to their original orientation over time. To be clear the origin of the branch from the trunk comes out straight but it and a good number of the branches now point to the right. I believe that this was due to the tree being tied up for delivery and was hoping to get the community insight on this. Thanking you in advance for any input.

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Not sure if I am visualizing correctely, but generally a branch should spring back to correct/original position within day or two at most, after that it may end up growing into that position.

• texjagman
    11 years ago

I have seen curled branches many times on deodaras when they come out of the nurseries. A lot of times it was because they were grown in a confined space so the branches curl around the tree. If this is the case the branches may or may not return to their full outward hang depending on how long it has been confined and how thick the branch has become.

What I have done in a few of these cases is similar to what guys do when they are working on a bonsai tree.....I get heavy guage wire from Home Depot and cut it in pieces about 1 1/2 times the length of the branch. Then I wrap it loosley around the branch starting from the inside near the trunk and working outward. When you get out to any where near the end of the branch snip the remaining wire off. Now you can bend the branch into whatever shape you like and the heavy guage copper will be stiff enough wrapped around the branch, to hold it in the shape you bend it.

You may have to leave it for a year or two to re-train it and make sure it will hold that new form, but it's worth it. And you cannot do this on mature thick branches.....only younger ones say smaller than an inch caliper. The thicker and older they are the greater the chance you will split the branch.

mark

• ronsandel
    10 years ago

I recently had my massive Deodar Cedar trimmed back. The trimmer did not do a good job -- he cut off all the lower branches (probably the bottom 20 ft). Will it ever fill in again? Is there anything I can do? It looks very top heavy and the bottom is completely bare. In the picture you can see what it looked like before. Everything below the red line is bare now. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

"Will it ever fill in again? Is there anything I can do? It looks very top heavy and the bottom is completely bare. In the picture you can see what it looked like before. Everything below the red line is bare now. Any feedback would be appreciated."

No, it will not fill in again. Most conifers will not produce replacement buds when all the live growth has been cut away. Even if your cedar did produce new buds, they would die anyway in the shade of the branches above.

Gardenweb gets to hear quite of few stories like this every year. Please everyone, if you rely on professionals to provide expertise, please hire a certified professional. In this case it would have been an ISA certified arborist who should have provided a job plan before starting (as part of the initial quote).

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus