Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deodar Cedar under stress

Posted by mmayes CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 16:00

I noticed that the cedar in our front yard is not too happy. It has lots of brown needles at the base of the needle clusters.

Is anyone else in the LA area aware of a problem with the cedars? We have been having a heat wave over the past month and I would normally think that is the problem, but there is an identical cedar one house down and it appears to be fine.

Thanks for any input. I have included some pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deodar Cedar under stress

but for a few brown needles.. i see anything wrong????

after our MI heatwave of 2 weeks over 100.. i have whole brown trees..

nor have you given many facts to guess on ... especially anything upon which to compare a tree down the street ...

recent transplant?? .. pic of whole.. how you water.. do you water... how big.. etc ...

no matter where we all are in the northern hemisphere.. it will be sept in a few days.. things are tired.. and it will be a slow decline to winter..

no conifer holds its needles forever.. interior shedding is normal.. and increased by transplant or weather stress ...

ken

o

• Posted by mmayes 9 Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 17:25

Hi Ken. Good questions. Tree is about 45 feet tall. 3.5ft diameter trunk. It gets water from my lawn sprinkler regularly.

The reason I am comparing it to the tree down the street is that they were planted at the same time and basically look like twins but the one down the street seems healthy with no brown needles (and it doesn't get watered at all.)

I was only able to post one picture initially but here is one with more of the tree. Thanks for the help.

o

Looks like cedar needle blight -Sirococcus conigenus, a fungus. We get it sporadically here in No Ca when the conditions are right (or wrong!) and that has to do with moisture/humidity when the tree was leafing out. It is never bad enough here to cause much damage and the trees generally grow out of it reasonably quickly. Nice tree!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 15:03

Yes, I thinks it's some kind of infestation also.

o

well those 2 should know.. they know the area and the plant better than me.... fer sure ...

i will defer ... good luck ...

ken

o

Hello, Just joined the post and this is the closest discussion I found on the topic of my concern (still not sure how to start a discussion). Anyway just had 2 beautiful Kashmir Deodar Cedar trees planted (10-12 ft) and one of the trees has its branches bent (not broken) sideways (not down) and was wondering if the branches will return to their original orientation over time. To be clear the origin of the branch from the trunk comes out straight but it and a good number of the branches now point to the right. I believe that this was due to the tree being tied up for delivery and was hoping to get the community insight on this. Thanking you in advance for any input.

o

Not sure if I am visualizing correctely, but generally a branch should spring back to correct/original position within day or two at most, after that it may end up growing into that position.

o

I have seen curled branches many times on deodaras when they come out of the nurseries. A lot of times it was because they were grown in a confined space so the branches curl around the tree. If this is the case the branches may or may not return to their full outward hang depending on how long it has been confined and how thick the branch has become.

What I have done in a few of these cases is similar to what guys do when they are working on a bonsai tree.....I get heavy guage wire from Home Depot and cut it in pieces about 1 1/2 times the length of the branch. Then I wrap it loosley around the branch starting from the inside near the trunk and working outward. When you get out to any where near the end of the branch snip the remaining wire off. Now you can bend the branch into whatever shape you like and the heavy guage copper will be stiff enough wrapped around the branch, to hold it in the shape you bend it.

You may have to leave it for a year or two to re-train it and make sure it will hold that new form, but it's worth it. And you cannot do this on mature thick branches.....only younger ones say smaller than an inch caliper. The thicker and older they are the greater the chance you will split the branch.

mark

o

I recently had my massive Deodar Cedar trimmed back. The trimmer did not do a good job -- he cut off all the lower branches (probably the bottom 20 ft). Will it ever fill in again? Is there anything I can do? It looks very top heavy and the bottom is completely bare. In the picture you can see what it looked like before. Everything below the red line is bare now. Any feedback would be appreciated.

o

"Will it ever fill in again? Is there anything I can do? It looks very top heavy and the bottom is completely bare. In the picture you can see what it looked like before. Everything below the red line is bare now. Any feedback would be appreciated."

No, it will not fill in again. Most conifers will not produce replacement buds when all the live growth has been cut away. Even if your cedar did produce new buds, they would die anyway in the shade of the branches above.

Gardenweb gets to hear quite of few stories like this every year. Please everyone, if you rely on professionals to provide expertise, please hire a certified professional. In this case it would have been an ISA certified arborist who should have provided a job plan before starting (as part of the initial quote).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here