Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrgpag

I have some chamaecyparis nomenclature questions

mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
12 years ago

I volunteer at a local arboretum and have been asked to go through our collections database and look for errors, conflicting information and the like. In doing so I have questions about chamaecyparis cultivar 'Sullivan'.

When new plants arrive, the names are added into the database as received. Dirr's manual on woody plants has been the source for info pertaining to nomenclatures and authority, but he is incomplete and not accurate in many cases. And Dirr does not provide much if any cultivar info on chamaecyparis.

In 1997 we received a number plants labeled chamaecyparis nookatensis 'Sullivan' and in 2004 we received plants labeled chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Sullivan'. Both accessions resemble each other in physical appearance.

So was c.nookatenis 'Sullivan' changed at some point to be c. lawsoniana 'Sullivan' or is there still a Sullivan cultivar for both species.

I appreciate any discussion along with any authority that was responsible for the changes.

Also, does anyone know if the 2011 International Botanical Congress changed the name of Callitropsis to Xanthocyparis?

Thanks Marshall

Comments (14)