Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have some chamaecyparis nomenclature questions

Posted by mrgpag swOH-Z5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 16:02

I volunteer at a local arboretum and have been asked to go through our collections database and look for errors, conflicting information and the like. In doing so I have questions about chamaecyparis cultivar 'Sullivan'.

When new plants arrive, the names are added into the database as received. Dirr's manual on woody plants has been the source for info pertaining to nomenclatures and authority, but he is incomplete and not accurate in many cases. And Dirr does not provide much if any cultivar info on chamaecyparis.

In 1997 we received a number plants labeled chamaecyparis nookatensis 'Sullivan' and in 2004 we received plants labeled chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Sullivan'. Both accessions resemble each other in physical appearance.

So was c.nookatenis 'Sullivan' changed at some point to be c. lawsoniana 'Sullivan' or is there still a Sullivan cultivar for both species.

I appreciate any discussion along with any authority that was responsible for the changes.

Also, does anyone know if the 2011 International Botanical Congress changed the name of Callitropsis to Xanthocyparis?

Thanks Marshall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have some chamaecyparis nomenclature questions

I don't know about 'Sullivan' but I thought DNA testing had the powers that be settling on Cupressus nootkatensis, but I did not hear the official word.

tj

o

Hi Marshall, Chamaecyparis nootkatensis was renamed in Xanthocyparis nootkatensis.
By some it should be Cupressus nootkatensis or Callitropsis.
For me it's still Xanthocyparis nootkatensis but I think it will take a couple of years before I'll rename it into Cupressus nootkatensis.
For mew as a nurseryman all this renaming is a very big confusion...

The 'Sullivan' is a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana cultivar because of it's typical lawsoniana foliage and cones...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Sullivan' pics

o

Can you post some photos of the plant? Include cones if it has any. That'll help determine what species your specimen is (in case it isn't correctly labelled).

Yep, Cupressus nootkatensis for Nootka Cypress. See e.g. here (pdf file; scroll down to Cupressus [# 11.24.] and note synonymy includes Xanthocyparis).

Resin

o

My question remains - is there a "whatever" nootkatensis 'Sullivan'? I'll be more concerned about the proper genus when that question is answered. Pictures may be available but not for several days.
Marshall

o

Marshall, there's no 'Sullivan' cultivar for both species, it's a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana for sure.
I received my plant under Chamaecyparis nootkatensis but I saw immediatly that it was a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana...
These are some pics of the one I received.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

"My question remains - is there a "whatever" nootkatensis 'Sullivan'? I'll be more concerned about the proper genus when that question is answered"

There's no Nootka cultivar 'Sullivan'. But what we can't know without pics, is whether you have a plant of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Sullivan', or a plant of Cupressus nootkatensis mis-labelled as 'Sullivan'.

Resin

o

That's right, pictures please!
(but I think I know the answer :0) )

o

Thanks - that answers one question. I'll post some pictures in a day or two to try and determine what we really have.
Marshall

o

14 of 15 laws .. tiny bargain plants from stanley.. way back when.. all died in my z5 ... alum being the only exception ...

depending on your micro climate.. you should be able to tell if it is a law.. after the first z5 winter.. lol ...

ken

o

OK, here's some images - Whatcha think?
Sullivan
Sullivan Foliage

Sullivan Cones

o

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Sullivan' :0)
Typical foliage and cones for this species.

o

Thanks - that's what I thought as well but needed some confirmation.
Marshall

o

is it some secret which local arb???

ken

o

Ken there is a row of them growing at Hidden Lake close to the parking area.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here