Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

new acs website goes live in time for acs national meeting

Hi all - take a look at the new website, developed by ACS member and volunteer Sean Callahan. There are a number of further improvements that will be rolled out over the next few months, but the initial site is gorgeous and easy to navigate.

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: American Conifer Society

Comments (16)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

WOW!!!

Oh holy cow, rich and juicy, awesome pictures from Jan.

Interactive blogs and discussion sections with pictures of who I'm talking to.

Over-the-top cool and that's only after 5 minutes of poking around.

Amazing job -- great work. This may be one of the best conifer sites ever!!!

~Dave

• arceesmith
    10 years ago

WOW!!! is right!

Congratulations to all involved in this great transformation. Very nice work!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Nice website!

Who's doing the data base?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ethan Johnson will continue to oversee the database; Sean Callahan, the webmaster, will manage it. We are working on adding more photos.

Sara

• PRO
    10 years ago

Edwin has an excellent point that the database is the site's weakest feature and has the potential to remain as such unless it can be managed like a Wikipedia -- anybody (or selected anybodies) should be able to enter pictures and plant history for every and any conifer cultivar.

Most importantly, once data is entered, we need a conifer history and nomenclature expert (preferably a handful) to keep the database scrubbed.

Once this task is complete, it will definitely be one of the best conifer sites in the world. This job is way too big for just one or two guys, even if they're on it full time.

Aside from that, I'm still waiting on a access code to start interacting with the blogs and message boards. The signup page says it only takes seconds to sign up. It's been over a day so far. The site will quickly lose its appeal if ACS members can't quickly gain full access. That was one of my biggest frustrations about the old Conifer Society site and why GardenWeb, despite its own issues remains the defacto go-to conifer discussion forum.

~Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave all of this will be possible and more. I will be back to you as soon asI can. - stay tuned!

Sara

• PRO
    10 years ago

following up . . .

today I was able to gain full access to the interactive features of the ACS website. I'm impressed by how it stands right now and I'm very excited about what lay ahead in the future.

Access to this site is yet another unique advantage of being an ACS member. Today, I'm prouder than ever to be a conehead.

~Dave

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Excellent work. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Yes, it took a couple of days but I was able to log in last night.

Looking forward to being an active member/participator.

Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Dave great to see you there!

Sara

• ogcon
    10 years ago

New ,easy to navigate ACS website scores high in my book.Thanks again Sean, et.al. for a terrific job!
    And btw photography thoughout is inspirational.Thanks
    Janice LeCocq!Doug

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jan gets the kudos!

Sara

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Sara...you too.

Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Dave!
    S

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I'm in as well. Very nice. I hadn't supplied ACS with an email address so I didn't get the broadcast message they sent. Took a bit to convince Sean I was a member but he was very patient. Easy to add pix to the database. I added a few, mostly tsuga cans...imagine that.

tj

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tsugaj, that's great! It's a process, as they say...

Sara