Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Particular genus/species for poor air circulation?

whaas_5a
12 years ago

I have two coved areas (two exterior walls that meet to form an "L") that are pretty much dead spots for air circulation. One even has a dryer vent near by that would subject the plant to extra humidity.

I can find a tall and narrow cultivar but is there a particular genus or even species I should focus on for these locations?

They are fairly well protected and only get east sun, with a touch of the south...basically part sun.

I'm open to anything. Picea, rhody, azalea, abies, taxus, thuja, boxwood, holly.

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Probably best go is Taxus or hemlock. Taxus is the sure fit.

All broadleaf evergreens are no go's. They'll be a fungus problem.

Dax

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Yes, I immediately thought Tsuga. Certainly well adapted to shady, closed-in conditions in the forest understory.

+oM

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Excellent, I already have Tsuga canadensis 'Vermeulen Wintergold'.

Maybe use a narrow Taxus for the other spot.

Which genus do you think will adapt to the humidity of the dryer?

I recall I had a Taxus near a dryer vent about 5' and it did fine for the 4 years I was there.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

in my world.. humidity of the vent in summer is not the issue in the great white north ...

its the HEAT OF THE VENT in winter .... potentially bringing the tissue in and out of dormancy.. and basically freeze-drying it repeatedly ... which will kill the tissue ...

you built a box .. and you are looking around in it.. look outside it ..

now.. does the side of the house stay damp all summer ... i doubt it.. so if the siding is not constantly wet.. why would a plant be affected???? effected????

just dont go with anything that is stuffed full of old needles ... something that will shed older stuff.. w/o building up inside ... and i suspect you will be home free ...

all that.. and just plant it far enough out that the dryer vent is a non-issue ... why do you have to squeeze something in that close anyway???

for me.. its the furnace vent .. and my solution ... die to the ground in winter hosta ... and of course.. there is no issue with summer.. since the heat is off by then ...

i seem to think .. i tried zone pushing cham law's in there .. and they all died.. but that was primarily the law's.. regardless of the vent ... though it sure didnt help any .. lol

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

my furnace guy allowed a pipe extension for a 30 degree angle [i think] .... instead of straight out the house ...

and not being bonded on .. i turned it perhaps 30 degrees from downward.. just to aim the hot air slightly away for the ground where the hosta is .... so the soil might not freeze thaw in late fall and early spring ...

mine is 1.5 to 2 feet off the ground ...

so you may be able to 'aim' the exhaust a bit ...

he would not approve a 45 degree bend.. as he suggested it would restrict air flow and reduce efficiency ...

i also did this.. so the hands of babes might not fit as easily into it ... and figured as they grew.. i might remove it... hence the reason it was not glued on ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The freeze thaw seems to be the killer, perhaps I start off small and see what happens.

Otherwise I have to go with a tall narrow upright that dies to the ground (like a hydrangea or perennial)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals