Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant to replace dwarf Alberta spruce

Posted by bellafiore 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 16:33

Lost my dwarf alberta spruce last winter...I have to take it out...right at front entrance. Need to replace it.
It is at the edge of my eaves (1950's ranch style home). There is about a 10' high clearance, and the tree is 10'x5'

Any ideas for a small tree? Or large shrub? Ideally, it would get close to 10 ft tall. I have a witch hazel on another corner of the house and it got a little too big, so I have to prune it to keep it down. Obviously would like something different, anyway.

I'd like to be able to buy a fairly mature plant, since taking the tree out will leave a huge hole.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant to replace dwarf Alberta spruce

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 22:39

Well then it becomes primarily a matter of what you are able to get in the desired size, with trying to get a particular previously selected kind becoming secondary - you may not be able to find big enough stock of what you have decided you want beforehand. Maybe look for what is in the size you want where you want to buy it and then come back and ask if people here think it would work for your situation.

o
Northern gold forsythia

removed this post. put it in the wrong forum.

This post was edited by bellafiore on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 19:18

o

thank you bboy, for your suggestion.
I am posting this in the shrubs forum because I think I am going to abandon the idea of a conifer in this spot.
Maybe a dwarf Japanese Maple or even a small dogwood.

o

What about American Holly (Ilex Opaca)? It's fairly small, takes well to pruning, and evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here