Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus sylvestris 'Nana'???

Posted by fotisr 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 17:14

Hello everyone,
I found today in a local nursery a deal I really couldn't pass! A very nice specimen in a very good price (very rare for greek nurseries to import beautiful and rare conifers). The tag said Pinus sylvestris 'Nana' and though I couldn't verify if that was legit (good idea for an app - "Edwin check" - that checks the cultivars only by submiting a photo via mobile phone... :) ) I bought it on the spot! Beautiful looking specimen! Searching on the net, I couldn't find much, not even a lot of images from this plant, so I'm questioning it's legitimacy. This plant shows a very nice blue color for a pine and this years growth seems to be almost 5 inches.

Here it is placed in it's planting space
Pinus sylvestris1

Is it Pinus sylvestris 'Nana"?
Pinus sylvestris close up

Pinus sylvestris2

and here it is in it's new home, after carefull planting and some inner-older needles clean up, wet and looking pretty happy!
Pinus sylvestris3

Thank you in advance, best regards,
Fotis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus sylvestris 'Nana'???

Looks great!

Here is one growing at the Denver Botanic Gardens
Accession date is 1980

labeled Pinus sylvestris var. Nana, Dwarf Scots Pine

o

That's a gorgeous plant Fotis, shimmering blue. Good find!

o

Thank you Severn!

Thanks Nate! The one in the Denver botanic gardens seems more green than mine. Maybe mine is 'Glauca Nana' ?? is that legit?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nate's previous trip, 'Glauca Nana'

o

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 16:59

Yes that is a wonderful find.

I know I would have not let that one slip through my fingers either.

I have purchased many of my cultivars that way.

They just jump out at you. And the next thing you are on the way home with it.

Great color.

Lucky you.

Dave

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 20:42

When I have researched this one it appeared the basis for the 'Glauca Nana' was var. glauca 'Nana'. So 'Nana' is what it should be called, unless it is determined it is actually another ('Watereri' etc.).

Has been circulated by the wholesale trade as blue Mugo pine. One of those silly occurrences like calling Prunus 'Ukon' Alaskan yellow cherry.

Know of examples here maybe 20' tall. Unfortunately the foliage can appear a rather leaden gray. Usually has a rounded, loose profile but I have seen one other example with a nearly fastigiate habit, like the first one shown here.

o

Beautiful conifer. Don't think it's glauca Nana as I have that one on standard and if mine is right, it's green. You lucked out on a choice plant.
Cher

o

Thank you Dave. I appreciate A LOT your opinion and taste.

Thank you bboy for the analysis!

Thank you Cher! I felt quite lucky upon eye contact! I screamed 'what a beautiful sylvestris!' from 10 feet away! I'll keep it as 'Nana' until different conclusion, as bboy suggested and as the tag said.

Best regards,
Fotis

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 20:01

I'd roll the dice with 'Bonna'. Eitherway, exception plant.

o

Thanks Will! Yes, that is a good guess. They seem quite similar! So i guess it is still uncertain...

Best regards,
Fotis

o

Fotis my friend, you bought yourself a nice Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri'...
'Nana' is just a synonym for this cultivar.

o

Thank you Edwin! I was kinda waiting for your opinion. I guess it's 'Watereri'...

Best regards,
Fotis

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 14:35

Nice, would be an understatement. Never saw one that blue!

Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri'

o

The blue needle colour depends on the the soil were it is growing in.
Fotis specimen is growing in a fertilized potting (peat)soil with all "food" it desires, this all will give it a blue colour.
In a poor soil it's needle colour can fade back to a blue ish green or totaly green...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Watereri' pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here