Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

Pinus sylvestris 'Nana'???

fotisr
11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I found today in a local nursery a deal I really couldn't pass! A very nice specimen in a very good price (very rare for greek nurseries to import beautiful and rare conifers). The tag said Pinus sylvestris 'Nana' and though I couldn't verify if that was legit (good idea for an app - "Edwin check" - that checks the cultivars only by submiting a photo via mobile phone... :) ) I bought it on the spot! Beautiful looking specimen! Searching on the net, I couldn't find much, not even a lot of images from this plant, so I'm questioning it's legitimacy. This plant shows a very nice blue color for a pine and this years growth seems to be almost 5 inches.

Here it is placed in it's planting space

Is it Pinus sylvestris 'Nana"?

and here it is in it's new home, after carefull planting and some inner-older needles clean up, wet and looking pretty happy!

Thank you in advance, best regards,

Fotis

Comments (13)

• sluice
    11 years ago

Looks great!

Here is one growing at the Denver Botanic Gardens
    Accession date is 1980

labeled Pinus sylvestris var. Nana, Dwarf Scots Pine

• severnside
    11 years ago

That's a gorgeous plant Fotis, shimmering blue. Good find!

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Severn!

Thanks Nate! The one in the Denver botanic gardens seems more green than mine. Maybe mine is 'Glauca Nana' ?? is that legit?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nate's previous trip, 'Glauca Nana'

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Yes that is a wonderful find.

I know I would have not let that one slip through my fingers either.

I have purchased many of my cultivars that way.

They just jump out at you. And the next thing you are on the way home with it.

Great color.

Lucky you.

Dave

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

When I have researched this one it appeared the basis for the 'Glauca Nana' was var. glauca 'Nana'. So 'Nana' is what it should be called, unless it is determined it is actually another ('Watereri' etc.).

Has been circulated by the wholesale trade as blue Mugo pine. One of those silly occurrences like calling Prunus 'Ukon' Alaskan yellow cherry.

Know of examples here maybe 20' tall. Unfortunately the foliage can appear a rather leaden gray. Usually has a rounded, loose profile but I have seen one other example with a nearly fastigiate habit, like the first one shown here.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful conifer. Don't think it's glauca Nana as I have that one on standard and if mine is right, it's green. You lucked out on a choice plant.
    Cher

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dave. I appreciate A LOT your opinion and taste.

Thank you bboy for the analysis!

Thank you Cher! I felt quite lucky upon eye contact! I screamed 'what a beautiful sylvestris!' from 10 feet away! I'll keep it as 'Nana' until different conclusion, as bboy suggested and as the tag said.

Best regards,
    Fotis

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I'd roll the dice with 'Bonna'. Eitherway, exception plant.

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Will! Yes, that is a good guess. They seem quite similar! So i guess it is still uncertain...

Best regards,
    Fotis

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Fotis my friend, you bought yourself a nice Pinus sylvestris 'Watereri'...
    'Nana' is just a synonym for this cultivar.

• fotisr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Edwin! I was kinda waiting for your opinion. I guess it's 'Watereri'...

Best regards,
    Fotis

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nice, would be an understatement. Never saw one that blue!

{{gwi:793115}}

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The blue needle colour depends on the the soil were it is growing in.
    Fotis specimen is growing in a fertilized potting (peat)soil with all "food" it desires, this all will give it a blue colour.
    In a poor soil it's needle colour can fade back to a blue ish green or totaly green...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Watereri' pics