Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. conifer

Posted by davidtree (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 17:19

I have asked before. I went back from when I planted till now.
Maybe this will help someone i.d. it. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Thank you david

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. conifer

I'll say Abies pinsapo 'Glauca' just to see if I'm within a million miles.

Lovely specimen any which way.

o

a million miles is to far to see it clear, a closer look will show us something else ;0)
No, it's not a pure Abies pinsapo 'Glauca' but it's crossed with an Abies koreana by the Wittboldt-Mueller Nursery from Germany.
I've to look for it in my book for it's true name...

o

A very cool plant to be sure. Abies pinsapo looks much 'sharper' then this plant, especially the new growth. This looks more like Abies koreana/procera new growth. I'll be curious to know what Edwin comes up with.

Beautiful indeed though.

-Will

o

I'd suspect an Abies koreana × A. lasiocarpa hybrid. Can't see any A. pinsapo in it.

Resin

o

The first pic reminds me of a cross between Abies koreana x Abies pinsapo because of it's blue needles which are surrounding the branches.
The one which I had in mind then was the Abies koreana 'Blue Magic' x Abies pinsapo 'Glauca' and the cultivar name of this cross is 'Spanish Blue'.

However, the other pics told me that Abies koreana was involved becuase of that cone but the Abies pinsapo part was dissappaered...

I think that Resin is right that it is a cross between Abies koreana and Abies lasiocarpa, probably the cultivar 'Waldgrenze' which also arose at the Wittboldt-Mueller Nursery in Germany and is also availlable at several U.S. nurseries...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Waldgrenze' availlabillity

o

Thanks everyone it probably is waldgreze I have bought quite a few trees from stanleys.
I have a hard time telling one from another.
Thanks
david bard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here