Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead'

dansgrdn
10 years ago

Thought Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' looked nice today.

Dan

Comments (9)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dan, I'm thinking the same thing... :0)

Did you ever show this part of your garden?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Yes, it is looking nice. Along with everything else in the pic. Thanks.

tj

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Yes Dan, great looker.

Have you though about where you are going to move it? It will engulf everything you have planted there.

My 10 year old.

Dave

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Coniferjoy, this is the side yard with mostly minis and small dwarfs, I just snapped this pic to show you what the rest looks like. I have a narrow side yard which has a Southern exposure. I've done my best to utilize it though. The stone wall is about three feet from the lot line.

Dave, no place to put it, it will continue to get pruned to make it go up, instead of out . It's just shy of 7 feet tall and 6' at it's widest point. It would already be much wider had I not pruned it over the last 5 years. I assume at some point it will get the axe, but until then I'm going to continue to enjoy it.

Thanks Tj

Dan

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 20:51

• Lily777
    10 years ago

Wow. Thank you for the wonderful pictures. what's the golden pine (aurea?) on the left in the last picture?

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lily, that's Pinus densiflora 'Burke's Red Variegated' Thanks for the positive comment.

Dan

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

So wonderful pictures, Dan!!!

Love Pinus thunbergii a lot!!! Gorgeous plants...

Do your Pinus thunbergii feels good after zone 5 winters? I have now some thunbergii and I am afraid - this will be a first winter...

Ireena

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ireena. In my climate, Pinus thunbergii winter burn many years, especially while getting established. I've got this one in a protected spot and I think I planted it around 2006. Now it looks good most years, but when we have an especially cold Zone 5a winter it will still show some signs of burn.

Dan

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

A 'Thunderhead' I've been seeing every year for some years that got planted in a Seattle traffic island increased in vigor after establishment and is now perhaps 15' tall, if not more - I have not stopped and walked up to it, it may now be taller than I realize. As often happens with slow-growing or compact conifer cultivars the specimen became more coarse and orthodox in growth as time went on - I know it to be a 'Thunderhead' because I saw it soon after it was planted, looked like other examples in outlets at the time.

Part, if not much of the time supposedly more restrained forms will be likely to be growing out of character due to the influence of non-dwarf seedling root-stocks.