Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greygal_gw

Weeping or unique conifer

GreyGal
10 years ago

I'm new to conifers and would like to pick the brains of the experts/experienced here.
I have a space in a small front garden where I've had some too tall arborvitae removed. It's a townhouse and arborvitae are the rule for privacy here but poor pruning caused them to grow too large/wide and any prune back exposed only wood. Personally I'm glad as I'm looking for something different. But my problem. The spot in question isn't that large. It's a corner area about 4' square. Height of the conifer would have to max out around 6/7'. I would love to find something perhaps weeping or colorful that would work. The area is in a south/east exposure and gets full sun. The spot is between the house and a small stone wall. It gets some shade later in the day. I'm in upstate NY and our zone is 6a Any suggestions would really be appreciated. I've been searching here and under Google, but would really like feedback. Thank you.

Comments (21)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

I have a few suggestions:

Pinus parviflora 'Tone' or 'Al Fordham' or 'Pygmy Yatsubusa'.

Dax

• nearpass
    10 years ago

Double post, sorry.

This post was edited by nearpass on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:43

• nearpass
    10 years ago

Any chance you could post a picture of the spot. That would probably solicit a bunch of suggestions. I'm in upstate NY myself, zone 6a, and might be able to help you find some sources.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Trees never stop growing, but I will spare you the lecture and assume your 6-7ft limit is based on a 10yr period. My vote would be Picea pungens 'The Blues' or Picea abies 'Gold Drift'. Both would require staking to grow narrow and upright.

• GreyGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should've explained that I do understand they continue to grow but would like one that can healthily be staked to 6/7'. I wouldn't want to stress it. And if I were to plant one that's normally extremely tall growing I'm afraid that the constant pruning needed to keep the ground sprawl under control would harm it. The picture is of the spot I'm planning to place it. The second is one of the whole garden spot. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

• GreyGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the second photo. Couldn't post it in my first post. Sorry it was a quick indoor shot.

• sluice
    10 years ago

I'll add weeping white pine

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Pendula' won't fit in that small space. Nor will a lot of other things - be sure to look for significant dwarf-ness.

• mmajicmann
    10 years ago

perfect size....gold cone juniper

Here is a link that might be useful: google images

• mmajicmann
    10 years ago

sorry...try again

Here is a link that might be useful: oops

• sluice
    10 years ago

Hmm, maybe something like Angel Falls.

Here is a link that might be useful: angel falls

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Of the two years collecting, one of the favorites in my collection is the classic Picea abies 'Gold Drift'. Stake it as tall as you would like and after that let it go. The spring flush is a lime green to yellow and after that fades you're left green needles dusted in yellow. Can't get any better than that =)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Hi GreyGal,

There are folks such as yourself that like to stake weepers that will get out of control in terms of twisting and turning and spreading ...and you never know what they are going to do.

I'm only going to jump in one last time and say that pruning and staking these type of plants which have no natural behavior to grow upward on their own are a lot of work, in my opinion. They generally are used for places what have 10 or more feet of width... if planted, properly.

A lot of we folks here have seen A LOT of conifers and old and new gardens in our time. I'm one of them. I've seen plants now being yanked from arboretums where they planted something 20 years ago that is at it's prime now and it's simply taken over. I'm just reminding you among my friends that you are not clearly thinking this matter through. Everyone knows I have my own philosophy to give a plant the space it needs or I don't plant it. Some folks probably think I'm a little over the top. But I plan ahead...

Even something such as Sciadopity's verticillata 'Cynthia Waxman' is a grand choice for that spot. It's "dwarf" - where myself and member bboy/Ron are going with our thoughts. I'll link you to a nursery that has 3 and 5 gallon plants of this very unique pine known as Umbrella pine so you don't have to wait to get started, i.e.

Some will say that 'Niagra Falls' white pine has better spacial limitations for a smaller area, but, it will out-compete space, you better believe it.

Those three Japanese white pines I suggested are gorgeous. They grow upright on their own, and they will live without maintenance in your spot for a very long time. I can assure of that.

Now I'll step away after I've made my peace.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Arrow Nursery

This post was edited by gardener365 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 18:58

• GreyGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. After searching I think I'm leaning towards Picea abies 'Gold Drift'. I think if I stake it to 6/7' and let it weep into the garden amongst the rock I plan on doing it'll look lovely. The garden isn't going to be very full, mostly lavender, heather, coneflowers, grasses and rock. And perhaps a mini conifer or short mound style as well.

• GreyGal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gardener365 that's exactly why I came here. To find out if there were any 'weepers' that would work. Becuase, as I wrote before, I wouldn't want to do anything to stress the plant. And I dont want to plant something just to dig it up a few years latter. That's why I fought to have the arborvitae removed. There were six planted against the wall that should have been removed years ago. If there isn't a weeping tree that would naturally remain shorter and compact enough for that space I wouldn't want it. I plan on staying put where I am. I'm a gardener and will be taking care of any pruning involved. So obviously the longterm health of the tree is very important to me.
    I'll check out the suggestions you made and the link you gave me. Thank you again.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Should you happen to like any of those Japanese white pines, your person to email or call is Bethlehem Nursery, Dennis Dodge. He doesn't have an online list and will have varying sizes of just about any Japanese white pine- known.

In addition, Dennis Dodge happens to be the foremost nurseryman of Sciadopity's verticillata cultivars.

Dax

• annestern
    10 years ago

This page is so full of interesting information! I'm new to weeping conifers but I've been a perennial gardener for 30 years. I've got an empty narrow spot on the back fence of one of my gardens and I'm visualizing a 6' x 4' NARROW weeping blue conifer there. Maybe even a plant that I could espalier? (Picea pungens 'The Blues' doesn't look narrow enough.) And did I mention that it's only partly sunny (at best). It will grow behind some Annabelle hydrangeas and, hopefully, provide winter interest to the garden. Recommendations from this knowledgeable crew for this crazy request? Thanks!

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

If height is not an issue, there are few conifers narrower, and none with more grace than Picea glauca 'Pendula'. It is the first conifer I recommend to anybody wanting something "different."

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I actually think 'The Blues' would fit your spot perfectly in terms of width, assuming you are staking it for upright growth it would take many years for this cultivar to exceed a 4ft width. No tree ever stops growing, so 6-7ft @ 10years is pretty accurate for 'The Blues'
    Your bigger problem is that the spot is only partly sunny (at best). Can you be more specific? How many hours of direct sun does the area get? While not very blue and about 9ft @ 10years, unprofessional's recommendation is also a great choice for the spot, especially if it is on the shadier said. Picea glauca is much more forgiving of shade the Picea pungens in my experience.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Tsuga heterophylla 'Thorsen's Weeping' would fit best at that spot.
    Both, Picea glauca 'Pendula' and Picea pungens 'The Blues' will need more space when they're older.

Tsugas can stand shade much better then all the other conifers...

• annestern
    10 years ago

Oh thank you all for such thoughtful replies (better than Christmas!). I'll keep an eye out for sun hours but, now that it's fall in Colorado, I'm not sure that I'll get an accurate summer reading. I'm guessing from the fact that the goat's beard that I planted there this spring has burnt foliage, that it gets about 4 hours. I can also go wider than four feet (if it works to espalier the tree, I'd use the entire fence!). I gather from earlier postings that fall is the time to plant. Anyone have a favorite source for these suggestions? Thank you again for sharing your expertise!