Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae Nigra) Chemical Injury

Thuja1
9 years ago

asdf

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:01

Comments (16)

• 123cococo
    9 years ago

So sorry,that's horrible.If they would do this to you they have probably do it to others.I would pursue it with them,maybe save some future victims.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Well, unless it was massively overapplied, there's no need to replace the soil. Of course, it could have been massively over applied, but this just looks like spray injury. Still shouldn't have happened - what on Earth were they thinking - and I wish you the best in your suit against the "lawn care" company and/or adjacent homeowner.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

I agree with davidrt above-soil is 'probably' okay, but overspray is beyond negligent. Do these folks not know about such disasters as Imprelis, et al? I'd think any lawncare applicators would be doubly-cautious these days, following that and other wide-scale mishaps with herbicides.

I wish you success in going after this company. To be honest, when I first opened this thread, I expected some miniscule injury, perhaps not even traceable to any overspray. Uh....that's not what I got! You have a real mess there, and I hope you are able to make it their mess! Really poor work.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

last pic ... except for two small drown areas .. all i see is cones

but all the pix are out of focus

with specificity.. as to injury .... what did the arborists say???

ken

• Thuja1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

adf

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:01

• Thuja1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

asdf

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:02

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

may i please ask again.. for better pix ...

if the discoloration you are seeing... is NATURAL CONING OF THE PLANT... and in huge cone years.. the whole plant can look off color .... as the cones ripen to brown ....

then your arborists are incorrect ... and i find it hard to believe.. they suggest total soil removal .... i had some trees die due to imprelis ... and none of the various experts .. suggested soil removal ....

i also would like to address the EXTREME winter we had ... and how .... if there is any damage.. how that was ruled out.. i have some thuja damage as well as death of many pines and chamaecyparis .... due to winter ..

and one thing for sure.. MN did not have a better winter than i had in SE MI ...

finally .. your two different stands of plants.. on two different sides of your yard.. literally define a micro climate as to each.. and it is not really feasible.. to compare one to the other ... based on lawn services.. while ruling out the effects of winter ...

actually on rereading your posts.. i see .. you really havent asked a question ... so ... i guess i am wasting my time ... good luck.. trying to stop your neighbor from doing anything to his property.. because it may effect your lot .... i am not sure.. that is legally possible ... from my vague recollection of property 101 in law school ....

and i hope you can find recourse in the legal system ... it might cost you a lot more money to proceed.. than you will ever get back.. and i suspect.. that is the root of your frustration ...

but again... if the plants are just coning ... etc.. no need to be repetitive ... you can provide pix.. if you want to continue the discourse ....

good luck

ken

• Thuja1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sdfg
    ert

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:03

• Thuja1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

was doing fairly well shortly after we moved it is even produced about a dozen small blood oranges. We left town for a few months but the people staying in our house watered the plants though not as well as we would've liked. A few was doing fairly well shortly after we moved it is even produced about a dozen small blood oranges. We left town for a few months but the people staying in our house watered the plants though not as well as we would've liked. A few was doing fairly well shortly after we moved it is even produced about a dozen small blood oranges. We left town for a few months but the people staying in our house watered the plants though not as well as we would've liked. A few was doing fairly well shortly after we moved it is even produced about a dozen small blood oranges. We left town for a few months but the people staying in our house watered the plants though not as well as we would've liked. A few

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:05

• ljs8510
    9 years ago

I think It would be nice to have better photos.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

So Thuja, are you saying that the LCO (Lawn Care Operator) is actually not being cooperative in dealing with this obvious mishap? Even in my most cynical of moments, I don't generally expect such an outcome from anybody. Overspray and spray drift are not exactly unheard of entities amongst LCOs, and at the very least, I would expect they'd have a well-rehearsed sequence for dealing with same. And that sequence would not, it seems to me, consist of denial, stonewalling, etc. given that company's continuing need to do business in the area.

Now, the plants are clearly damaged-of that, I have no doubt-but is it possible there's a whole 'nother chunk of this you're not telling us? Past feuds with same parties? Something doesn't add up here, in that no company, as far as I've ever dealt with, would be that irresponsible.

+oM

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

THuja1...sorry about your loss.

They will look at your ability to fight this.

My bet is they will take you to task. They already have by stonewalling.

The money and time you would spend to fight this in court would not be in your favor unless you have very deep pockets.

If me I would remove them and replace on my own dime.

Dirt replacement is not necessary. I suspect damage incurred by foliage absorption and not root uptake.

Just saying...

Good luck,

Dave

• Thuja1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sad
    fs
    df
    sdf
    s

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:04

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

I am just reading all the posts.

Thuja1, you said in the OP "Any help would be appreciated since both the lawn care company and neighbor are putting all their resources into looking for any excuse to stick me with the costs of fixing this damage."

Then in the last post you said,
    " Regarding the neighbors, they were friends and I want to keep them or their insurance carrier out of the picture."
    and then
    "so I have not sent letters yet to LCO and/or their insurance carrier."

So did you verbally speak to the neighbor and their LCO, and both parties told you the lawn spraying did not cause this?
    And this is why you are now collecting evidence to write a formal letter?
    What excuses did they come up with so far?

As for posting on the forum, were you hoping to find out if we think the damage may have been caused by the listed chemicals?
    Or are you looking for ideas on how to proceed with the LCO?
    Or both?

• Thuja1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

essed cans, we're leaning toward 4" housing and then will try a few retrofit LED modules, such as the very popular Cree CR4.

But what if we HATE the LED lighting? Are we misguided to think we should build in future flexibility?

Here's where I'd appreciate help, and my cluelessness will become apparent:

1) Do all commonly-used lighting sources run on the same electrical wires? In other words, we'd be able to switch from LED to halogen without running new wire?

2) How many cans can I put on one LED-compatible dimmer? For example, if I buy a 700W LED-compatible dimmer, does that mean I can put 14 Cree CR4s (at 50W equivalent apiece) on each dimmer?

This post was edited by Thuja1 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:06

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

Good luck! Hope you get compensated.